Lichfield Cathedral & Shopping in Derby


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Derby
August 24th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday 24th August, Derby

Shopping day today.I wanted to get our vodafone sim cards sorted and the girls were dead keen that we helped Robin buy some clothes. Apparently someone had given her some money on a card at Debenhams, a big clothing store in the middle of Derby. Along the way we went to a couple of op shops. Altho' the idea was to get Robin new clothes from D's in Oxfam we saw a lovely green skirt, it had a really interesting hem line and was her size, only 5 pounds. I had to bully her in to it - but everyone who saw it thought it looked great. Off to the mall, there Robin introduced me to LUSH - they make gorgeous soaps and creams etc out of natural products, wonderful names and smells - all out there to be touched and experienced very sensual. Finally got the SIM cards sorted then it was clothes shopping. Robin bought a lovely green top and cardy and soem new jeans - she looks really elegant in them - the girls approved too.
Jerry had the bright idea of going to Lichfield cathedral in the late afternoon, Ann was too tired and Rob wanted to see M - so he took me. My 1st English cathedral - it was magnificent. Dated back to about 607! 3 lovely spires. Everything on such a grand scale and sooo beautiful. Strange to see tombs in church I thought. There was a shrine to St Chad ( took a moment there to write and say a prayer for Mim and the family and to light a candle). Took lots of photos. J thought I should turn the beeper off my camera & I tried several times to no avail - finally found the silent mode switch - hooray!
An interesting NZ connection - a plaque to the memory of the widow of Bishop Selwyn who was bishop of NZ and Lichfield - how amazing. Camera started running out of battery and I almost got locked inside. Time to head home for a takeaway curry and some rest!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb