Peak District Training Weekend


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Buxton
August 27th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Off to Win HillOff to Win HillOff to Win Hill

Day one: A 15 mile ridge walk
We organised a final training weekend to do some hiking in the Peak District over the Bank Holiday. Unfortunately we don't have any lofty mountains in England on which we can emulate the heights we will have to climb in Tanzania so the Peak District would have to do!

The first day we completed a 15 mile hike which including walking along 'The Great Ridge'. It included summitting two 'peaks' but at only 462 metres (1516 ft) and 476 metres above sea level it isn't quite the same as the 5,895 metres (19,341 feet) we will be doing in Tanzania!! It was a stunning walk and one we would recommend anyone visiting the Peak District.

The hike was only supposed to be 12 miles but we covered an extra 3 miles after some errors in navigation so in all it took us 7 hours. Luckily we will have a guide on Kilimanjaro so hopefully shouldn't be getting lost at any stage!

The second day we opted for a shorter but steeper climb in the same area. This was very similar to the conditions we expect on Kilimanjaro with lots of loose shale and rock on the ascent making for difficult climbing and more concentration required. It was also slightly higher than the first day at 636 metres. Halfway up the rain swept in and we had a good 20 minute downpour which at times came in sideways due to all the wind. It cleared for a while allowing us to get some nice views and photos but it wasn't long until it was back again. 4 hours later we were finished after completing 5 miles.

On our final day we decided to just complete a short walk to finish the weekend before heading back into London. So we picked a relatively easy walk at 3.5 miles through the rolling hillsides. We knocked that off in just a few hours and completed our three days of hiking without incident.

Whilst we couldn't quite emulate the conditions that we will face in a few weeks time, we feel confident that we can physically hike on back-to-back days without too many problems. Throw in a few thousand metres of altitude and it might be a different story but we have 5 days to get up there so there will be no rush!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Top of Win HillTop of Win Hill
Top of Win Hill

Windy up here
Guardian of the hillGuardian of the hill
Guardian of the hill

Looking back at Win Hill in the distance.
View to top of Lose Hill from Win HillView to top of Lose Hill from Win Hill
View to top of Lose Hill from Win Hill

After one peak we dropped to the valley and climbed up to the top of the next...
Top of Lose HillTop of Lose Hill
Top of Lose Hill

Looking towards the next section of the walk
Map reading...Map reading...
Map reading...

...just follow the path Dan!
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

After a heavy down pour a beautiful rainbow appeared
Day twoDay two
Day two

Another ridge walk, this time only 6 miles
Nice view...Nice view...
Nice view...

...if you can find a someone who can take a photo.
ViewView
View

We walked from the bottom of the valley along the ridge.
Well deserved beerWell deserved beer
Well deserved beer

Finished day two with a beer and local cider... should have had a beer!
Lime Stone WayLime Stone Way
Lime Stone Way

A short 6 mile walk to finish the weekend


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb