Chatsworth House, Bakewell, Derbyshire


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Ashbourne
October 4th 2018
Published: October 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast down in the quaint breakfast room was delightful. We ventured out at about half past 10, driving for half an hour through idyllic farming land. The roads were narrow, the villages picturesque, just beautiful countryside in the Peak District. We arrived at Chatsworth House, also known as the home of Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, and Buckingham Palace in The Crown, but actually the English home of The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire (remember, we saw their Irish home some days ago?).

We spent hours there, touring inside the house, and then walking around the gardens. It was just amazing. They’ve done a wonderful thing, opening their home to the public. The extensive collection of antiquities, art, statues, furnishings was marvellous. It wasn’t cheap to get in (£21 each) but the cost of the ongoing upkeep and restoration must be enormous. The library was wonderful! We had lunch on the northeastern terrace, a minted lamb pasty.

We continued on our way to go to Haddon Hall, but unfortunately it was closed - not sure if for the season or just the day. I’m not sure that I would’ve liked to have run into Prince Humperdinck though (from The Princess Bride) or even Mr Rochester (from Jane Eyre). So we returned to our suite at the Inn for a nap.

Dinner was about a mile away in another pub at Fenny Bentley - the Coachh and Horses - a delicious Minted Lamb and Rosemary Casserole with veggies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb