A walk in the woods..-Allen Banks and Staward Gorge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » North Pennines
June 2nd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok, it is true that everyone in England talk about the weather most of the time. I couldn’t understand why this is the case as I grew up in a country where weather is consistently unchanged, or at least no dramatic changes in a day. I also learnt that you have to seize the opportunity when the sun is out, as it might disappear with a flick of finger.

It was a sunny Sunday in Newcastle; we decided to swap indoor tango dancing with a walk in the Allen Bank. Allen Bank is located in the North Pennines, it only took us 1 hour to get there from Newcastle. As we drove passed Haydon bridge, we can see dark clouds gathering upon us, then it started to rain. ‘Oh well, it should be OK by the time we get there, the wind will blow the clouds away’, we thought.

We were wrong, the rain was persistent. Jeff was deceived by the weather; he didn’t bring his rain coat. He should have known the English weather well by now since he was born here! However, we remain optimistic; entering the wood, hoping the weather will become better.

The smell of wild garlic hits us straight away as we enter the wood. I was told that the growing of wild garlic plants indicates that the woodland is ancient. (‘Ancient’ means the site has been wooded since 1600s or longer.) Apparently, the woodlands in this area are part of the largest area of ancient woodland in the North Pennines. The Forestry Commissions are removing introduced species of trees and shrubs to encourage the growth of native species; hence restoring the ancient and historic woodlands for wildlife.

We walked our way through the ornamental wood, passing a small tarn, surrounded by Scot’s pine and larch. We then crossed the springy suspension bridge, following the trail that runs along River Allen, which led us to a higher ground eventually. By then, it started to rain cat and dogs, we sheltered under the dense leafy woods, still manage to admire the Staward Gorge.

Our walk came to an end after 3 hours of walking. On the path leading out the woods, we found ourselves again engulfed in the pleasant smell of garlic . I picked some back home and used it in salad dressing. It was delicious!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rhododendron bushes support little wildlife, but they look beautifulRhododendron bushes support little wildlife, but they look beautiful
Rhododendron bushes support little wildlife, but they look beautiful

These flowers were introduced to the woods as ornamental plants initially, but now it has to be kept in check to allow other plants to grow.
Wild garlic plantWild garlic plant
Wild garlic plant

The flowers and buds, even the leaves are all eatable. It is the buds that I find it very garlic-gy
Invades by wild galic plantsInvades by wild galic plants
Invades by wild galic plants

This whole patch of wild garlic plants give out a very pleasant garlic smell.


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb