Good Pair of Boots


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
September 1st 2012
Published: October 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Easedale ApartmentEasedale ApartmentEasedale Apartment

This is where we stayed while in Grasmere (I didn't take this photo, as I still don't have a decent camera)
At the beginning of September seems like an odd time to go to the North of England, what with the weather being so famously dire in the Autumn, but peace and quiet was the name of the game.

Grasmere is a tiny village in the Lake District, nestled on the bank of one of the smaller lakes (Grasmere, in fact). There are two main draws to the village for myself and my betrothed, the first of which is a shared love of English Romantic poets.

Wordsworth himself lived in Grasmere for more than ten years, after becoming homesick for England while in Germany. He described the village as "the loveliest place that man hath ever found." You can visit Dove Cottage, which is the lovely cottate he lived in. There's lots of info on www.wordsworth.org.uk including lovely pictures of the cottage and the surrounding area.

The place we stayed was gorgeous, Easedale Studio Apartment , which is a self-catering cottage apartment with really nice old fashioned beams in the sloped loft ceiling. It was really nice for the romantic lake district cottage gettaway two days we wanted to recover from busy jobs and social lives, way more private than a hotel would have been.

The second reason we went for was the famous Grasmere Gingerbread, which is undoubtedly the most delicious gingerbread I've ever tasted. Seriosuly, if you have even the smallest liking of gingerbread you'll want to try this at least once in your life. We plan on having some as wedding favours.

Really though, with the amazing accomodation we got at Lakelovers, the really tranquil village, the Worsworth Museum, and the gingerbread, all on top of the fact that it forgot to rain (no idea how that happened), this was a much needed revitalising break and we'll be ready to face the rest of the year (including Christmas with my in-laws-to-be). Couldn't recommend Grasmere enough.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb