The big one


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Langdales in central ish Lake District are absolutely brilliant. Properly rugged, they epitomise what's great about mountains. Another advantage is that you can get round the majority of them in a single day - albeit a big one.

The day started at new Dungeon Ghyll hotel where the big kit decision of the day was the big fleece vs little fleece debate. Little fleece won so i started the walk off shivering and wishing I'd chosen the other fleece! I followed the road to the farm at the start of the Band, bypassing the Band and heading directly for Crinkle crags and Crinkle Gill which was to be the route of choice into the mountains.

The Gill offers a very different ascent of Crinkle Crags from the usual route and is significantly quieter. Described as a scramble the route offers little technical difficulty (the hardest bit is at the end) but is arguably unsuitable for the relative beginner.

The Gill was low thanks to an unusual dry spell and dry feet prevailed as I felt increasing like Indiana jones. The steeped walls of the Gill can be a little intimidating but soon the height gain opened up the view into the valley. A tricky last section was conquered with a distinct lack of grace and poise before i reached the head of the gill.

The route onto the crinkle crags summit was steep and unpleasant but the view made up for the discomfort.

Brief butty stop before descending to 3 tarns with Bowfell the next summit in view. The main route up from 3 Tarns is well trodden, but in dry conditions the climbers traverse and great slab come highly recommended for all except those who dislike heights. The climbers traverse clings to the side of Bowfell in a more Alpine than Lake District style. Great slab offers a steep, scenic and airy ascent not to be missed. The last few metres to the summit are a bit of a slog but Bowfell offers one of the best 360 degree views in the Lake District.

No time to waste and i quickly 'did one' to bag Esk Pike. Oftern overlooked its an underrated peak with excellent views of the Scafells. From there I descended via Esk Hawse to Angle Tarn. No time for a dip, and headed left to skirt aorund the valley and line up the langdale pikes as a final summit.

The walk round the valley and up to the langdale pikes is a bit of a drag and the leg burn was massive. The level of fitness in my head clearly significantly greater than the reality. Final peak was Pike o'Stickle. A rocky summit that was deserted provided a great view point to survey the route taken.

Properly shattered, it was time for some energy drink before descending to the car park. All in just over 8 hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Post - scramblePost - scramble
Post - scramble

Feeling tirumphant
Route aheadRoute ahead
Route ahead

Crinkle summit
ScafellsScafells
Scafells

From Crinkle summit
Great slabGreat slab
Great slab

Looking down the slab into oblivion!
Setting sunSetting sun
Setting sun

Taken from Pike o'Stickle summit


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb