British Weather 1 : John and Christie 0


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Kendal
July 8th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a bit of a discussion this morning, we've decided that we'd had enough and needed a break from cycling, and we needed some sunshine.

As Christie described it, riding has just become a chore for her, and although a big bit of me wanted to cycle to to London, the idea of getting into the sunshine was pretty appealing. We therefore packed our bags (Christie battling with both a bad head cold and a bruised and sore leg) and cycled the 2 miles to the train station. The oddly quiet train station. After knocking on the door and finally finding someone inside we were told that the trains wouldn't be running ... for the next two weeks!

With nothing else for it, we headed off the 50kms to Kendal, the next nearest train line. It was actually a beautiful ride, though it was brutal and merciless, sending us plunging down steep hills, only to then struggle straight back up again, and down again and up again ... it was like cycling through Cornwall on steroids, It was a real roller coaster, and it must have taken us over an hour to get 10kms. It was probably made mentally harder by the fact that right beside us was the M6 running in this perfectly flat line as we plunged up and down these ravines beside it.

Anyway, we finally scored at Kendal - rail tickets to London the next day for £17.50 each. Normally £86. So once again we booked into a Youth Hostel, showered and recovered, and I think breathed a collective sigh of relief that we were heading down to the sunshine ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb