Day 74 Maryport and Cockermouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Cockermouth
June 30th 2018
Published: June 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We decided to stay put in our accommodation in Great Broughton and headed to Maryport on the suggestion of our host to watch the great Trawler Race. We weren’t disappointed as the walk around the harbour was an eye-opener and most enjoyable. I happened to strike up a conversation with a owner-skipper of the trawler, “Silver Fern”, and was invited on board for a look around and even invited to stay on board and partake in the race out at sea, the Irish Sea. I declined as I have enough trouble staying upright standing still on level ground let alone on the deck of a trawler as it surges through the waves … “Man overbooooaaaarrrd!” We stayed, watched and enjoyed all of the decorated, flag flying trawlers depart safe harbour. The tide had come in, the wind had increased and out to sea the swell had increased too. My decision to stay on land was the correct one … gutless maybe … but correct.

Quite a few hours later we headed into Cockermouth as the all-day music of all genre’s festival was in full swing. I stayed for an hour and returned to my hotel while Jane stayed to enjoy
the festivities. I picked her up a couple of hours later and after refreshing ourselves headed in for a meal. Another awesome-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement















Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb