The Lakes District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Bardsea
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hadrians WallHadrians WallHadrians Wall

Impressive wall used to go for 100 miles across the Country
On the way from Edinburgh we went via the Carslie Castle and Hadrians wall. Hadrians is a rock wall built by the Romans to keep out invading armies. The wall spans from coast to coast and was ½ an hour out of our way but it had to be seen. The only thing was trying to find it. All the paddock fences in the area are made of stone walls and in this particular area we were surrounded by then. I said to Greg that I am sure you can walk on it so it would be a little wider than the ones around us. We ended up in the middle of someone’s property and still not real sure what we were looking for, Greg thought it was the little rocks covered in grass but on top of a steep mound I could see a white sign so suggested he go up and check as I had walked half way up and thought if it wasn’t it I didn’t want to walk the whole way. When he got there he called out he had found it, so up I went as the farmer came past rounding up his cattle.
Arriving in
Ferry on the LakesFerry on the LakesFerry on the Lakes

The oldest ferry still running in England
the Lakes district and WOW- windy narrow tree arched roads, lakes on one side and old homes and pubs on the other. Boat houses right on the water where the boats pull into the boat house as the boat house is actually built over the water, no blowing up rollers dad. Trailer sailers, yachts, speed boats and canoes all enjoying the sun that has suddenly broken through their long coldest winter on record. We passed one lake and then drove through some very hilly mountainous roads with water falls down the mountains and sheep jumping the walls somehow sleeping in the middle of the road. We came across an area with cars parked in a field and couldn’t work out why, then we saw the sign fox and hound. As our day started so late from Scotland we really wanted to keep going to make sure we could get a B & B. We arrived in Windermere at about 7.30pm and asked at a couple of places but I said to Greg I would like to stay near the lake if possible. We found an information map and noticed the lake was down the hill, so back in car and headed that way. What a beautiful area, old shops little narrow lanes and then the Lake hit us with all the ferries, row boats and half cabin boats on a little jetty area and swans every where. Lots of B & B’s no vacancies and had a look at the rooms of a couple that were available but finally found one with really nice room and a very friendly older man (his wife was away and left him running the fort). Once we settled in, we headed off for dinner at about 8.30pm, found a really nice inn overlooking the lake but it was quite pricey so walked along the main street and decided to have Thai- very good.
We then walked to the lake and had a wander around and found a pub sitting above the lake with a carvery for 3.59pounds. We decided that would be where we would have lunch tomorrow, (so cheap). We grabbed some boat brochures, Greg decided he would row me for an hour tomorrow. We read through several brochures to see what was on and around and Greg found out there was a car museum. We woke to the smell of bacon and Greg got to try black pudding- I also asked the man where a laundrette was as Greg’s washing pile was building up and he offered to do it for us.
So instead of my row on the lake for an hour we went on a 45min cruise to the other end of the lake, then shuttle to the car museum and 45 min cruise back. This lake is massive and we only saw about a quarter of it. It was a beautiful warm day and there were people everywhere. There were kids and scouts everywhere so I was wondering if it was school holidays or if people extended their week off because the Monday was public holiday. Yes it was the mid-term break. Once we got back we went to the carvery and had three roast meats and about 5 vegies as well as the famous Yorkshire pudding, even the drinks were really cheap I tried another pimms. It was very refreshing on a nice warm day. As we were leaving Greg looked up at the tele and we saw how a gun man had shot 12 people in the area that we were in. He had shot himself so we didn’t feel as concerned about driving off from the area. I really wanted to see the Beatrix potter gallery but it was on the other side of the lake and we could have caught ferry but when we worked out how to do it, it was getting late in the day again and we needed to head for York. We walked back to B & B and washing all dried and ready for us. We headed off to another tourist attraction from the Heritage pass book and then hit the road for York.


Advertisement



7th June 2010

u found tha delorian i bet greg wants to travel in time to the aud tour hehehe
9th June 2010

Guys your entries are soo much fun to read.. sounds like you both are having a great time.... keep them coming..your getting closer to your Audi driving experience there Greg!!!!!! have fun take care love the Hurley's..... PS picked up and paid the boys for my computer, they seem to have things ok :) anyway talk to you soon. xxxx
10th June 2010

Hi from Rosebud
Hi guys. Wow, what a great trip you are having. It is great you find the time to update us all on your travels. I wondered if you were near that crazy taxi driver in the Lakes District. Good job you were not in his Taxi!! Keep the updates coming - we are off to Wagga for the long weekend leaving behind a very rainy and windy 8 degree day here on the Peninsula. Hear from you soon. Karen

Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb