Lake District hiking


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ambleside
May 16th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today i woke up way too late but at least I wasnt hung at all!! Woke up around 11 and got in trouble because we were supposed to be out by 1030 and missed breakfast as well! I wasnt too happy cause its not like we were staying for free! Your really not allowed to sleep in which i think is ridiculous...and no breakfast!!! I bought stuff to eat so i wasnt happy...they said that it was the law that ppl had to be out while they were cleaing or something. Oh well i paid for my next night and they were happy again.
So we treked off to take the bus to the trail. On the way we grabbed some breaky, turned out to be fish and chips cause it was like 1130 =(. Then we jumped on the bus and ate it up top as the driver took us to our dropoff point. 4 pounds for like a ten min ride hillarious seems things are cheaper in the city.
We got to Bowness and checked out the town a bit and then started following our map to the trailhead. Walked up a huge ass hill and found it right at the top. Tons of these gates where gravity shut them to make sure none of the sheep got out i guess. But the one thing was that no fat person could fit in these gates because there was very little clearance between the gate. We got lost in like 10 minutes flat. HAHA the map was a bit odd didnt always make sense but to be fair it was like hike through the field and through the gate towards the right down to the road except there was no road!!! Ohad was the map man tho i let him take the ropes. Actually we got lost major one time and i was kinda pissed at him cause we had to hike back and forth for like 40 mins. Then it started raining as well so that made it worse. I was thinking of turning back but we had a ton of light left to make it so on we went. I was a bit confused cause I thought we were on this Dales Way trail because we had been following it the whole time. Then we realized that we missed a step to go right so there were no more signs after that!!! Kinda funny all the geographic clues!!! We were hiking through all these fields with tons and tons of sheeps everywhere. Quite the good life they lead. They were all spraypainted to tell them apart im guessing. They wouldnt let me pet them though!!! Stupid things made a whole bunch of noise as i came close.
There was this one part Orrests Head which was the peak of the climb where we had the most amazing view of the whole town surrounding. We hiked down it and came to this muddy part of the trek. Straight mud but i managed to avoid it with my fresh Nike shox. They did take a bit of a beating when i was carefully minding my steps down a stone wall when i misjudged a rock and went straight into a huge pile of sheep shit with my right shoe. Instantly brown thats when i knew it wasnt a rock at all. Ha oh well.
We kept on through the fields over the beautiful landscape. We got lost again but managed to find our way once we stopped and talked to a local driving a Land Rover!! We crossed over the road and down to another field and over a couple bridges. Hiked back up the hill through some people driveway which was a public footpath...quite odd these footpaths seemed to be everywhere. All i was thinking about at this time was a nice cup of tea back at the hostel. It had been like our 6th hour and counting. Finally we got to the end where we could see the other YHA hostel from above and our spirits were up. We took the next path down the rocky hill into someone elses driveway only to find that we still had a ways to walk on the road cause we misjudged our distances.
Finally we made it back to the hostel and i was in a serious state of relief. I had to celebrate with a couple cups of tea and some serious amounts of brie and bread!! Watched some bbc and planet earth on tv while Ohad talked to his family on skype. Sounded like he was angry for some reason but I asked him later and that was just the way they spoke. The two Chineese ladies came in and I said Ni How to them and they were really impressed being teachers and all. Ha i was even impressed at my memory must be from taking a good break on the greens!!! We made a good dinner Ohad and I but we never shared this time.
Being Saturday night we had to go out and check the town but we were really dissapointed to find NO youths out whatsoever!! I did my laundry and called it a night!! Hopefully i could play by the rules and get up at a decent hour this time!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb