Pennine Way 13. Unlucky?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Alston
August 30th 2019
Published: August 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Friday the 13?

Not exactly but it is Friday and it is the 13th day of our walk.

And disaster strikes. We could not make today’s walk.

We left Dufton prepare for a tough day and knowing we had 25 km and just on 1000 m ascent. But the mud, bog, a slight navigation error and then howling winds, thick blanketing fog and pelting rain forced a decision. We had reached Knock Fell, the highest point on the walk so far and had 2 km to reach the highest point of the Pennine Way but the fog made it unsafe for us to continue as the track was barely discernible and for us dangerous. There was no one around anywhere so we simply turned and walked the 10 km back to almost where we commenced this morning. Very wet, very cold and somewhat exasperated I was not happy but it certainly was the correct decision as it would have been dangerous to continue. We had walked through some poor terrain and climbed pretty high and covered about 9 km and we ‘only’ had about 16 to go but really it was out of the question for us. There are no photos of how bad it became because my ipad would have been wrecked. But it was not pretty.

We are ensconced in our BnB with our washing done and the heater on. The heater is on to dry the washing and because it’s cold. Outside it’s miserable and it looks as if evening meal will be whatever we can find in our packs as I don’t think either of is moving. We stay here 2 nights so that makes as relax a bit.

It’s a smaller distance day tomorrow and the climb is less as well although it will again be boggy. I think we’d better get used to that. We start to get into Roman country which will present a different perspective on things and one I’m looking forward to.

So Friday the 13th. Not so lucky for us. Lucky for the taxi driver.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb