A little bit of History!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
October 4th 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

A fine day saw us checking out a couple of ancient sites - namely Lanyon Quoit (Neolithic) and Men an Tol (Bronze Age). There are so many ancient sites scattered around Cornwall we decided we had to be selective and limit the number we tried to see.

Nearby is the little village of Zennor where we found the graves of some of John's paternal ancestors. We thought it appropriate to have a beer in the Tinners Arms - we are certain this is what they would have done!

On the way home we called in to Botallack to have a look at some amazing tin mine ruins. The most spectacular are the Crown Mine engine houses which were constructed in 1815 to pump water and so allow submarine mining. The shafts extend 400 metres out under the Atlantic, about 150 metres below sea level. It is difficult to imagine what a harsh life the miners (and their families) would have had to endure.

We rounded off the day at a fabulous restaurant ("2 Fore Street") in Mousehole which had been recommended by our hosts. It was so good we immediately booked a table for another night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lanyon QuoitLanyon Quoit
Lanyon Quoit

Prior to being damaged in a storm in 1815 a man could ride under this megalith on horseback. The re-erected version is less spectacular. It was probably used for funeral rituals and dates to Neolithic times (3500-2500BC),
Men an TolMen an Tol
Men an Tol

Literally meaning a stone with a hole in it! Nobody's too sure what it was used for, possibly a burial site, but local folklore claims it has healing powers and can help you get pregnant (if you pass through the hole seven times backwards!) Dates to the Bronze age c2000BC.
St Senara's Church, ZennorSt Senara's Church, Zennor
St Senara's Church, Zennor

Grave of one of John's ancestors
Mermaid's  Chair, St Senara's Church, Zennor.Mermaid's  Chair, St Senara's Church, Zennor.
Mermaid's Chair, St Senara's Church, Zennor.

Legend has it that a mermaid would sit in this chair every Sunday listening to one of the choristers with whom she had fallen in love. One day her infatuation proved too strong and she lured him back with her into the sea.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb