Tea With a View


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » St Ives
October 2nd 2019
Published: April 22nd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Cream TeaCream TeaCream Tea

Devonshire cream tea with a view on Clovelly.
Once we had had another full-Cornish and checked-out of the hotel, we went for a walk back down to St Ives' harbour to see it in daylight. We circled round past the beach, where the surfers were braving the cold, around St Ives Head and then around the narrow streets and shops. We debated getting a box of different Cornish Pasties (there are sweet as well as savoury), but didn't in the end, which we regretted.

Somewhere my wife had always wanted to visit was Clovelly in Devon, so we thought we would stop there on the way back. This is a private village, which is completely closed to traffic. We parked at the Visitors' Centre at the top of the hill, bought the tickets needed to enter the village and then headed down. The village is mostly all along a single street, which heads steeply down to the small harbour.

On the way down we saw a tea shop so we stopped there for another cream tea. After the expensive disappointment of yesterday, this was a lot nicer. Not just for the cream tea itself, but also for the view over the village to the sea.

We
Clovelly HarbourClovelly HarbourClovelly Harbour

The dry harbour at the bottom of the hill.
walked the rest of the way down to the harbour. The tide was out, so the harbour was dry, with a few small boats stranded in the mud.

We debated walking back up the steep hill to the Visitors' Centre, but we decided to take the easy option and get a lift in the shuttle bus

After a browse around the Visitors' Centre shop, it was time for the long, long drive back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

ClovellyClovelly
Clovelly

The steep main street.
St Ives St Ives
St Ives

The seafront in St Ives.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb