Driving around Cornwall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Penzance
April 3rd 2018
Published: April 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Set off this morning (in sunshine) for a driving tour of Cornwall (or the bits someone has decided we need to see), planning to be back in time to walk across the causeway to St Michael's Mount (open today from 12.30 to 3.30pm).

First to Penzance, then a little further around the bay to Mousehole (because why wouldn't you visit a place called Mousehole!), lots of narrow streets in Mousehole! Then off to Land's End. I thought this was a sign at "the end of England" - but has been turned into a tourist park - shops, movie theatre, cafes, restaurants, hotel etc. Sign is still there, but you have to pay to get your photo taken with it! Seriously cold & windy by now (think Cornwall has the same weather as Melbourne - all things in one day).

Maurice then decided to find the Minack Theatre - an outdoor theatre overlooking the sea, (not far, but back on those narrow country lanes) only to find when we got there (at 12.06), that the site had closed at 12pm for a matinee performance. Better luck next time.
Then headed for St Ives, supposedly the art capital of Cornwall with one of the best surf beaches. Could drive around this village, but nowhere to park, so headed back to Marazion.

All off in different directions - Maurice went to find some family history places, Kate walked across the causeway to St Michael's Mount, intending to go to the top, till she found they charged you $5.

I walked part way across the causeway, then wandered around the village.

Lots of boats returning from St Michael's Mount this afternoon after the tide comes in.

Very nice dinner at a local pub.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb