The wild West of Britain!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Padstow
August 20th 2010
Published: August 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We decided to break with the tradition of the last few years and stay in England for the long summer break. (That’s if you don’t count the week we snatched in Egypt back in May) Our trusty trailer tent was feeling a bit neglected so with us both having six weeks off work now was to time to bring it out of mothballs!

After waiting, without success, for 3 weeks for a good spell of weather we decided to just pack our bags and head south anyway. Padstow, Cornwall to be exact. Well sure enough we did leave the rain behind but sadly not the wind that seemed even stronger and colder than it had been back home.

We turned up at a campsite we’d been to before and were relieved to find they had vacant pitches despite it being high season. We pitched in our allocated place only to find it was just about the windiest place on the campsite, it was impossible to step outside the tent without risking getting your head blown off! We searched around and found a nice corner sheltered from the wind on 3 sides and dripping with wild flowers creeping up the vegetation and a tall purple Buddleia plant surrounded by colourful butterflies. Perfect! We instantly asked if we could move and were told that it wasn’t a proper pitch but that we could move if we wanted to. Problem solved!

We spent the next ten days walking along the coastal paths searching out secluded beaches. The wind continued to blow, however, meaning most days were not what you’d call ‘ beach days’. Maybe we’re just spoilt after South East Asia! I did manage to get in the sea on a couple of occasions but for literally just minutes as the water was so cold!

Padstow itself is a lively small fishing town. Each evening some kind of entertaining could be found at the harbour from male voice choirs, brass bands to fire shows! Always surrounded by a huge crowd making for a pleasant atmosphere. Live music could often be found in the many old pubs around town.

Whilst in Cornwall we visited the little village of Port Issac, the home of ‘ Doc Martin’ ( a TV show for those who don’t watch British TV) and Fowey, a slightly larger fishing village on the south coast of Cornwall.

Two days before we were due to leave we heard that heavy rain was forcast for that night and the following day, we’d been lucky so far and escaped it whilst the rest of the UK was awash apparently. Without any hesitation we decided to pack up and leave.

Can you believe it? After a seven hour drive and just one mile away from home the rain began. Thank goodness for weather forcasts!





Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Surfers, Costantine BaySurfers, Costantine Bay
Surfers, Costantine Bay

Braving the freezing cold temperatures!
At Last a bar-b-queAt Last a bar-b-que
At Last a bar-b-que

The weather turned nice at last!
Butter Hole BeachButter Hole Beach
Butter Hole Beach

Only accessible by boat
Port IssacPort Issac
Port Issac

Home of Doc Martin
Cute Bus Stop!Cute Bus Stop!
Cute Bus Stop!

They're not like that where we live!
Wandering thru' the corn fieldWandering thru' the corn field
Wandering thru' the corn field

I'm sure someone said we could get to Tesco thru' here!
St Endicot's Church, RockSt Endicot's Church, Rock
St Endicot's Church, Rock

It's said to be sinking into the sand dune!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb