Newquay, day 15 walking.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Newquay
September 2nd 2022
Published: September 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Bun. The first photo is for you. Pub and defibrillator in one location, does it get any better? We were here 3 days and I know my way around, know the beers and ciders pretty well, know the menu and order with confidence (easy mussels and something else), know the staff and really know the schedule but I never saw the defibrillator! But I didn’t need it either.

More mussels last night, enjoyed as usual. Then some fish and peas and chips and peas and salad and peas! Too many peas! Would have gladly traded some for some salad but… Probably because we’d not long ago had a Cornish pasty (hard to believe I know) we were more than filled to dolly’s wax.

Taxi back to Porthcothan was good, jovial driver with plenty of opinions about British politics, again hard to believe from a taxi driver! He’d been a coal mining electrician during the Thatcher period so plenty of opinions.

The walk fell into a familiar pattern now. Little over 18 km along the coastal cliffs with some short sections on the sand at inlets. Even icy-poles are becoming easier and easier to find. The elevation gain no longer scares us and the hills we do see pose no real concerns for us, although we do have cold showers on arrival (deliberately) to ease any muscle soreness or any cramping.
Newquay is big and busy but not in the monied manner of Padstow. Many more amusement arcades, £1 stores and cheap takeouts than we are accustomed to but nowhere where I could find a cooked ‘chook’ and no I did not ask for a chook! I went to 3 supermarkets and still couldn’t find one.

Tomorrow’s walk takes us through Newquay and around the harbour and then over a tidal footbridge that cannot be crossed 2 hours either side of high tide. Who builds a footbridge that you can’t use at high tide? Unfortunately the tide times are not good and we may have to walk a bit further and catch another ferry. We’ll see.
We are back here tomorrow night, using the taxi trick again. Very close to 20 km again tomorrow but again the route and terrain is similar to what we’ve seen lately so all should be fine.

See you soon, caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb