Lizard Point


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Lizard
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lizard Point, Britain’s most southerly point, offers dramatic cliff walks, wild flowers, and geological features, which is accessible by the First T34 bus running from Redruth to Lizard Town via Helston.

In 1991, the National Trust gained the ownership of Lizard Peninsula and Kynance Cove. As a consequence, the footpaths and signposts for Lizard Point, Kynance Cove and other directions have been established as well as historical buildings and monuments being restored and maintained.

While walking on the coastal paths, it is always advisable to follow the footpath all the time for safety reasons. It is rather windy and people may get slipper and it would cause them to have rather serious injury or possibly lose their life if they drop to the rugged coastline.

Both Lizard Town and Lizard Point have several cafes and restaurants, convenient facilities such as first aid centres or lavatories, National Trust shop, and souvenir shops where you can find original minerals and rocks, candle sticks and necklaces using attractive rocks.

From the lookout of Lizard Point, you can overlook the rugged coastlines and multicoloured cliff. Myriads of rocks plants with red, orange, purple, and yellow flowers are grown on the slopes on the cliffs, and they are really harmonised well with the azure coloured sea. These rock plants are maintained by the volunteers of the National Trust or British Conservation Trust. Various types of birds and migratory birds stop or fly around the coastlines of Lizard Point and Kynance Cove. It is therefore an ideal spot for bird-watching.

Moreover, there are a number of historical buildings and spots along the coastal path between Lizard Point and Church Cove and it includes the world’s biggest lighthouse, the cove named Lion’s Den, which was formed when the roof of the cove was broken at night of February 1842, the hotel where King George 1st and Lewis Carol once stayed, the signal station where Gureimo Malconi sent the message to the USA via Atlantic in 1901, and the Lloyds Signal Station where the staff used to deal with transmitted messages from ships in the 19th century.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb