Trelissick Garden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Falmouth
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A modern garden was created within sheltered belts surrounded by Carrick Road, Fal River, and Lamouth Creek 200 years ago.

From August 2004, the ferry services which stop at Trelissick Garden started. The boats depart from Truro, St Mawes, and Falmouth and go through the historical buildings which have been used for the film setting along the Fal River and offer commentary.

If you travel with the ferry, you will reach the harbour established on the Fal River at the back of the woodland. There are a wide range of shrubs, trees, sub-tropical plants, and shady plants, e.g. rhododendrons, Himalayan bamboos, hydrangeas, magnolias, palm trees, etc grown and they are thriving from spring to late autumn. Spring comes at the end of January or the beginning of February. At early spring, snowdrops, daffodils, and Christmas roses spread their carpets on foots of the trees. At the south edge of the woodland, there is a summerhouse with details of the head gardener and gardeners who helped to develop the garden in the past. You will be able to overlook the stunning scenery of Fal River and its neighbourhood.

Climbing up the woodland trail, you will reach the main lawn garden where a “crypotomeria” is standing on the centre and colourful flowers are thriving on the borders established on the edges of the circle shaped space.

The restaurant building was converted from the stable. The restaurant offers choices of sandwiches, salads, and hot meals using vegetables and daily products produced locally.

The National Trust maintains the formal garden and woodland of the Trelissick Garden and the neighbouring woodlands and riversides. You can explore the Namphillow Wood, adjacent to the main garden on the north direction. After going past the Lodge Plantation with a Neo Greek Cottage, the trail takes you to the dense wood, i.e. Namphillow Wood. A little brook flows to Lamouth Creek, and you will see countless waterfowls flying around the mudflats in the Lamouth Creek. As it’s damp and wet throughout the year, the National Trust has replaced oaks with beeches. The trail leads you to North Wood, Round Quay Wood, and harbour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 54; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb