Werneth Low Country Park


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire
May 13th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well ... we are settling into relaxation mode really quickly!! We had another lazy morning before going for a drive to Werneth Low Country Park with Kath and Albert. The park includes a cenotaph that commemorates the men and women of Hyde who lost their lives in the first and second World Wars. The cenotaph sit high atop the bluff with panoramic views over the City of Greater Manchester.

The sun was breaking through patchy clouds, but with a really stiff breeze blowing it was pretty brisk up at the park. It was good kite-flying weather though, with a couple of colourful kites being flown. Why is it called Werneth Low anyway when it is so high above Manchester and its surrounds? I must check a map ... I guess there must be a High Werneth somewhere nearby?

After a brisk walk to the cenotaph and back, we drove around to the Hare & Hounds pub and had drinks overlooking the city while plane-spotting. Kath was able to name which charter company all of the planes coming into Manchester Airport belonged to by the colour of their tails!!

After our drinks we headed back to Stalybridge to watch The Game! Today was the last round of the English Premier League season and every game kicked off at 3.00pm. There was great excitement and anticipation because Manchester United and Manchester City were both playing for the 2012 Champion's title. Mind you they weren't playing each other for the title - it was all to do with their relative positions on the league ladder going into the round and how well they won (or how badly the lost) this final game of the season.

I'm told it was all very exciting (I just can't get into the round ball game!) with goals scored by Man U and Sunderland that saw Man U theoretically on top of the ladder due to the fact that Manchester City only looked like drawing their game against Sunderland BUT, in extra time, Manchester City scored a third goal for a win this afternoon and the Champion's title!! Albert (and every other Man U supporter in the country) had ridden a roller coaster from resignation, that City would win the Championship, to exhilaration, that United just might snatch victory from them, to gutted, that the title was within their grasp, but taken from them in the final moments of the game!! Who knew football could be that thrilling?!

No cards tonight. We watched a re-run of Lewis that even the Australians had seen and then a re-run of Death in Paradise. If this quirky detective series set in the Caribbean has been shown in Australia - we've missed it. We will have to keep an eye on some of the secondary channels in case one of the stations in Oz has picked it up??! It was a bit Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries in style.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb