King's Lynn, Norfolk -> Crewe, Cheshire -> London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Crewe
July 3rd 2004
Published: April 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

EUR-UK-England
3 July 2004

Leave King's Lynn in the morning for Crewe, Cheshire. Celebrated my Nana's Birthday in style. Finished the meal with a "pudding" (ie dessert). Handily I met most of my relitives in one place and time, very efficient.

A little about Crewe.
-Most people only change trains here.
-a Rolls-Royce factory is here, although it only makes Bentley's now.
-Crewe Alexander FC is in the First Divison.
-Crewe park is very nice, lots of gardens, a bit of a forest, a pond with paddle boats and "funny canadian canoes", and a lot of canada geese (!)

4 July Crewe to London

Had a walk around Crewe Park in the morning then took the train to London Euston. Shared the train with some sort of travelling choir who practiced their songs. Reminded me of the Guinness Advert where one guy is standing in the aisle holding a Guinness and the whole train is singing in a classical style.

Arrived at Euston and figured out the Underground / tube. Being a cheap sod I decided that a map of the underground would be as good a souviner as a plastic bobby hat.

Showed up at the hostel and immediatly felt out of place. This was most likely due to my having showered earlier that day. Some gypsy looking people were sitting on the steps playing a guitar. Compared to later hostels this one was definately in worse shape. But it was steps from Hyde Park and 14 quid a night.

That night (being a Sundy) we decided to check out Speakers Corner. I was impressed. Some improptu conversations and a few more formal ones. Only about 2 or 3 cops keeping an eye out. A lot of the speakers were not speaking english and most were muslim. Obviously the idea of shouting at passer-bys from a step ladder (apparently the soap box of the 21st C) tends to attract mutters. Some of the Muslim speakers had a couple of tough looking young men standing next to them, presumably to protect him from enraged infidels.

As befitting our christening our trip <> the final match of Euro '04 was this evening. Greece (the lowest ranked) beat Portugal (the homeside and favourites) on penalty kicks. Being in London there were plenty of fans of both sides. I pretended I wanted greece to win all along and gave the thumbs up to a car full of Greeks with flags.
#

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb