London, Cambridge and Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
November 6th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The right companion can be the difference between a great adventure, and an amazing one. I've had multiple trips to the UK over the last couple of years, and I've had some amazing trips! Of course it always helps to have a local guide. London is an interesting mix between the depressing day to day work grind, and the bus loads of tourists seeing the sights. Don't even think about standing on the wrong site of the Tube escilator, and of course "Mind the gap". Like most cities with the hustle and bustle of work, people usually don't want to speak with strangers, and just want some peace after their daily grind. London offers so many amazing places, and has one of the best city layouts and public transportation I've ever seen. They Oyster card allows you to ride the tube, trains, and busses in a zone system without having to fumble for coins.



My philosopy on any major city is to walk down the river. You will not only see some of the best sites, but you will see the character of the people and the city. London is active with plenty of cyclists and runners, but loves to relax in the parks on a sunny summer day. Growing up near Seattle, I can relate to the other 9 months of the year, and the entire city springs to life in a new way when the summer months come around.



I visited some of the touristy sites, and highly recommend the Shakespear's Theater. I was utterly confused in the Tate Modern museum, and thought the Greenwich Observatory was pretty amazing. So many parks, it's hard to list favorites, but St. James seems to have a relaxing vibe and Hyde park always has something fun going on. Each burrow of town has its own feel, and Victoria seems to have a life of its own. Open markets flow in and out of apartments and castles. Although a little pricey, I would recommend staying in this area, for convienence and atmosphere.



In several ways Cambridge was more impressive than London. The city was mostly spared in WWII and the archetecture is really amazing. You can just tell that there are great minds at work behind the 30ft. tall doors, and you can expect Stephen Hawkings to roll by at any moment. Punting is quite common here, and for all that don't know, here was my experience. With no guidance grab a 15ft metal pole and stand on a 2ft. wide by 20 ft. long boat and go. As you watch people go by, it seems pretty easy, just push the pole against the bottom of the river and you will go. The first few pushes had us blocking the river sideways under a bridge! After about 5 minutes, I could see where the error was. If you just plant and push there seems to always be some left to right action, and it is key to hold the pole straight up and down. The locals forgive the new guys more or less, as we provide some comedy relief. Once you get the hang of it, it is really relaxing, and highly recommended.



My recommendation is 5-7 days for London, 2 days for Cambridge and 1 day for Brighton / Greenwich.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb