Stay home (Cambridge)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
February 6th 2005
Published: February 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

CemetaryCemetaryCemetary

Entry gates to the Cambridge American Cemetary
It was quite a lazy weekend, which was exactly what I/we needed. Thursday there was a group of 7 of us that walked to Madingley which is a small town just outside of Cambridge which houses the only American Cemetary in the British Isles. There are almost 4000 graves in the cemetary and over 5000 names on the wall of the missing. The engraving over the wall says, "The Americans whose names here appear were part of the price that free men for a second time in this century have been forced to pay to defend human liberty and rights - all who shall hereafter live in freedom will be here reminded that these men and their comrades we owe a debt to be paid with greatful rememberance of their sacrifice and with the high resolve that the cause for which they died shall live eternally." It was a nice place to visit, but somber of course. Plus it was our exercise for the day seeing as how the walk there and back was about 8 miles.

We went to a lecture at Cambridge University which was about why apes and humans kill. It was packed and actually really interesting. He covered fear and imbalance of power, and whether killing and violence was natural or unnatural. I'd go into it more, but if I got started, I'd probably type too much.

Saturday we went to see Lorna play a football (soccer) game, since she joined a local club team. The team they were supposed to play didn't show, so they played the men's Darwin College team that was hanging around the field. It was actually pretty amusing since girls don't really play football here, and Lorna plays for Valpo, so the guys she was playing with definitely underestimated her. Later that night we went to a new pub (which was actually like a cross between apub & a club) and made some new friends.

Sunday Matt S, Sarah & I wandered around town taking pictures... the best way to learn a city is to get lost in the weird back roads and then find your way out. 😊 Later that night the girls went back to the Fleur de Lys to meet up with the people we met the night before and witness some bad karaoke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mary Magdelene ChurchMary Magdelene Church
Mary Magdelene Church

In Madingley, but on Cambridge University property
CamCam
Cam

The river Cam, with Jesus Green in the background
Jesus GreenJesus Green
Jesus Green

The picture is more artsy than scenic, but I thought it was worth adding


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb