Cambridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
August 7th 2022
Published: August 13th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Our first visit to Cambridge. We travelled by train from Peterborough, collected a map when we arrived and settled down at Cafe. Euro for a delicious coffee while we planned what to do. We decided on a Hop on Hop off tour which would help us get an overview of the city. £13.50 each and we were on our way. We travelled about half way passing the Fitzwilliam Museum, Jesus College, the Cambridge University Botanic Gardens and the WWII American Cemetary and were again surprised by the brown grass that has replaced the green playing fields. We decided to get off near the river Cam and take a look at the Mathematical Bridge and the people punting on the river. It was now lunch time and we had stepped off the bus near The Anchor Inn, a pub near the river so we decided to have lunch. Great idea as we managed to snag a table outside in the glorious sunshine. We ordered lunch and I had a Pimms…when in Rome. This one was made properly unlike the disastrous experience that I had in Bacton.

After lunch we walked into town to experience the beautiful architecture of the many buildings in Cambridge. We saw the Corpus Clock at the Corpus Christi College, which was unveiled by Stephen Hawking in 2008. It shows a steampunk style insect called the Chronophage, eating time. We passed the Kings College Chapel and the Trinity College. There were many quirky shops including a fudge making business, one full of dresses and other clothes from the fifties and an old sweet shop. We also saw the Round church one of only four remaining in Britain.

We then got back on the bus and toured past the university and saw the cricket oval where Jack Hobbs played. There is a weather vane of a cricketer on the roof of the pavilion named after him.




A quick run for a train when we got back to the station, changed at Ely ( where they had just had a shower of rain - smelled like home). After a muddle with platforms we were on the train back to Peterborough. A really enjoyable day


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Weather vane of cricketerWeather vane of cricketer
Weather vane of cricketer

Jack Hobbs was the famous cricketer of Cambridge


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb