Testing Disco Volante


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
April 25th 2014
Published: May 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A lovely couple of days sailing in the Bristol channel. Waters a bit like chocolate milkshake, but it's still pretty when the suns out.



Day 1 - We sailed from Bristol harbour over to Portisead for the night. Sunny, no wind. Lovely cruise down the Avon and under the suspension bridge. Then popped out at Avonmouth. Sails up & engine on as there is a tiny breeze and with the tide and no engine we go backwards.

We motor over to Portishead Marina and I get complicated on my driving by the fisherman on the quayside. You can imagine Mike's response. Then it's off to a wedding in the town. We leave Janet & Rod in charge of Disco Volante while we're gone.

Day 2 - Have to be up at 8am to catch an early lock-out. Fuzzy heads soon cleared by the very fresh breeze. It's our first force 7, gusting to force 8. I am attempting to make tea & grill bacon sandwiches, so Rod & Mike think it's the prefect time to put up the sails. I nearly stick the bacon sandwiches in an inappropriate place!!!

Fortunately avoided see sickness despite being below deck with a hangover in rough conditions. Disco Volantes is holding her own in the most challenging winds she has faced so far. I use my new Navionics navigation app on my phone to navigate us across the sandbanks to Cardiff Bay. Lots of comedy moments when we hit a big wave and a slow motion bucket of water hits the crew in the face!!! Think we need to buy some spray dodgers at Beaulieu Boat Jumble after all! It seems like Janet doesn't really trust either her husbands on sons sailing abilities as she stays in the hatch hanging on for dear life - claiming she's taking photos!

We arrive in Cardiff Bay in the nick of time as although it is a harbour you can supposedly enter at any point of tide, the depths sounder is going crazy. Mike is slightly white faced as we gingerly head down the narrow channel into the monstrous Cardiff Bay barrage lock. A very civilised lunch in the bay before we head back to bristol.

Greeted by the always friendly Bristol harbour Master as we come back in - We share a lock in with The Matthew!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



18th June 2014

What an amazing adventure
Just discovered your blog. Eager to read about your travels and what life on a boat is really like. We'll be interested to learn the ups and downs and hope you'll tell us more about your background, skills and what made you want to make this wonderful trip.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb