Dai's slow lejog


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
March 20th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bristol to Chepstow


Day 13 Bristol - Chepstow 24 miles (390)



An early start on the first train up to Bristol to emerge at Temple Meads at 8.00 am on a crisp, frosty morning.
The start of my trip past5 the fine St Mary Redcliffe Church and then leaving the busy traffic going on to the cycle routes along the quays. A dockside cafe provided a fine bacon butty and steaming mug of coffee for breakfast. A really picturesque and fascinating trip through the "post-industrial" quays with fine views of buildings and the city.


At the end of the docks the river changes course to the North west with the fine view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the path follows a great course along the river under the bridge and six or seven miles out to Pill where the cycle route joins the M5 ! over the Avonmouth bridge. yes it is segregated from the motorway traffic but only by a few feet and its noisy and unpleasant.

Avonmouth is a dreary dockland town with endless warehouses and industry . My humour wasn't helped by taking a painful tumble over the handlebars after my frontwheel gost caught in grooved concrete roadway.

Nonetheless the sun stayed out and it was a lot pleasanter leaving the industry behind and following the cycle route to Severn Beach , passing under the new Severn crossing, and meandering on to the old Severn Bridge crossing at Aust. Here the cycle way is a lot pleasanter with fine views over the Severn and Wye estuaries. After leaving the bridge a long pull took me into Chepstow for lunch and my train home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Avon GorgeAvon Gorge
Avon Gorge

The quiet side


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb