Normandie & UK Day 12


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
June 13th 2019
Published: June 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Really heavy rain during the night, amplified by the fact that we were pitched where a tree hung over us! Still managed to get a reasonable sleep, even though we did wake before the 0800 alarm we'd set.

Reason for the alarm was to catch a bus into Bristol, both to have a look at the place and to meet FB/Twitter friend Kaycee for lunch.

Moved the van closer to the gate to reduce walking on the wet field, then went off to the bus stop. Bus was about 10 mins late, which made it a bit tight for our lunch appointment (which had to be 11.45, so Kaycee could be back in her office by 1). Google Maps has, shall we say, an "optimistic" view of our walking speed! Still, we made it - and had a lovely time with her.

The rain had stopped by the afternoon, so we set off on another walk across the city - but with no time pressure this time - to go and see the "SS Great Britain." Well worth a visit, and horrifying to imagine the conditions of the "steerage" passengers - obviously an early forerunner of Ryan Air!

After a couple of hours there, we discovered a cross-harbour ferry, and a local bus, to make our trip back to the bus station easier. Unfortunately, though, First Bus seem to be as efficient as most UK public transport. The bus went from a different stand from the one announced everywhere (including the electronic "real time" signs), so we ended up waiting another hour for the next one, and not getting back to the campsite until 1845! Still, we had an easy meal planned, so no real problem. Got in the van at its daytime spot near the gate, and moved it to a pitch WITHOUT overhanging trees!

All in all, a very enjoyable (if tiring) day.

(no km in the van, obvs)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb