Hope Springs Eternal—Just a little longer til bedtime!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Windsor
September 22nd 2018
Published: September 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Windsor, England


Additional maps: Windsor

Whew! We have had a LOONNGGG day today for sure! I am still running on the sleep I got before I posted yesterday evening. Can you spell “screaming, sobbing and hysterical tantrum”? And that was just the mother of the child who was sweaty and LOUD two rows up and one row over from us on the plane...ALL night long!! That kid has one strong set of lungs for sure and the mother needs anger management courses. It was an experience.

We arrived in London at 10:20 making us a 7 hour flight that usually takes 8 hours. We were late leaving the gate in Nashville, and the pilot made up the lost time and then some on the way East. Kim you were correct...it is a very long hike from Gate 5 to get to customs! After arriving there, it was another long wait in line to get to the customs agents. After that it was smooth sailing—three minutes tops to get checked into Great Britain!

The transfer agent was waiting with our names on a sign (just like in the movies!) and we were soon on our way to the little town of Windsor...in a misty rain. Well, it IS Britain after all so what would we have expected?

Our hotel, Castle Hotel Windsor, is very nice—a blend of old and new. The folks at the front desk could not have been nicer and we were soon ensconced in our room for the next two nights. It has a king bed, very little furniture AND they have washcloths, which for some unknown (to us) reason European hotels seldom have. I even brought some with us “just in case” this time. By the way, if anyone has an answer to the lack of washcloths, please let us know what it is!

After getting situated in our room, we walked down the main street of town for a few blocks before settling on a restaurant for our lunch? Brunch? Evening (WHICH evening?) meal? Don’t have a clue, but we split a great meal of Fish and Chips at a little place just off the main road.

We are valiantly trying to not end up in our room for a few more hours (since we know that we will face plant ASAP once we go there), I am now getting this day’s blog ready to post down in a lovely lounge in our hotel while enjoying a wonderful pot of English breakfast tea. The carrot to keep going is the promise of a good night’s sleep in my near future!

“That’s All Folks” as Bugs Bunny (or was it Elmer Fudd?) used to say. I have a few pictures to post this evening. Tomorrow our official tour starts so hang in there with us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Jersey Pearl—Rer viewJersey Pearl—Rer view
Jersey Pearl—Rer view

Can you believe the angle of “leans” in the building? Don’t know the story behind it, but it is facinating to look at for sure.


22nd September 2018
Businesses “leaning on” each other for survival!

1 flight is way better than 3
Sounds like a rough flight noise-wise. At least you only had 1 flight and no long layovers. Looking forward to your tour of Windsor Castle.
22nd September 2018

Washcloths
Why they don't have them in hotels is one of the mysteries of life. Do the locals use them at home? Yes they do. We have stayed in many top end hotels in Britain and same thing. We tend to stay in American brands like Hilton, Marriott and Holiday inn and most do not supply them in the rooms. In some cases they do have them if you ask for them. Try that. Holiday Inn Express hotels over there have a paper mitt thing instead of washcloths. Is it better than nothing? I'm not sure. So like you we always carry our own. Glad you arrived safely in spite of the kid. It's about 6 pm there so you probably won't last much longer today. Get a good nights sleep and ready for tomorrow. Give our regards to the Queen!
22nd September 2018

??
Glad you made it safely! Looking forward to following you on your trip.
22nd September 2018
Edge of Windsor Castle—more tomorrow I am sure

?
So did I or didn’t I submit my comment? I’m new to this. Anyway, John needs a hat. With a pompon.
23rd September 2018
Edge of Windsor Castle—more tomorrow I am sure

Yes you did...
To all...you won’t see your comment until I sign off on it after it is read. Since I was in bed (12 hours!!) I didn’t read them until this morning. Thanks for the comments!
23rd September 2018
Businesses “leaning on” each other for survival!

Yay! Another vacation!
Quaint & from the coats I'm guessing a bit chilly. The angles are a bit curious. Nighty night.
23rd September 2018

Windsor looks amazing! I had no idea you guys were heading back overseas, I am supremely jealous. I can’t believe it’s been a year since our own trip to London. Can’t wait to see what you get up to!
24th September 2018

The flight from !!
I can relate to the flight, we had a similar flight back to USA except they were 2 inconsiderate adults in front of us. It looks like you are now getting into the enjoyable part of vacation. Room sounds nice especially when you are tired. We will be following your adventure.
10th October 2018

So it begins...
I was in Italy when your trip started so I'm just getting caught up with your blog now. I love your writing style...sense of humor! As for wash cloths, I never use one. Not sure why...other than growing up and living overseas most of my life where they were not used.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb