The Wind in the Willows


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Pangbourne
March 28th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.4831, -1.08747

After our long drive on Saturday, we decided to stay a big closer to Windsor and explore the Thames Valley. We drove to Pangbourne, a small village famous because Kenneth Graham, author of Wind in the Willow, lived there. It was wonderful to drive into the village to hear the carillon of bells for Palm Sunday mass. The kids had a quick play in the local pub's play area (we have to remember to let them do this sometimes!), then walked across the old toll bridge to Whitchurch, a very gorgeous village. We all had lots of fun working out which house was Toad Hall – there were lots of lovely homes to select from! The church was also very lovely, and we were all taken with the daffodils in the church yard. The church and some of the houses were made with Matthew's "mysterious stones" i.e. Flint. Georgia had the little camera and took hundreds of photos – she said “it is all just so adorable! “

We then drove to Henley on Thames – the guide book had marked a “scenic tour” but I don't know if we followed the route or not – but it was quite pretty, past rolling green hills, farms and even a few golf courses. We arrived at Henley just before lunch – the town was bustling with people doing their shopping, and the threat of rain didn't put them, or us, off! We wandered past Tudor buildings (including the most “full” antique shop that I had ever been in!) before settling in at the Angel on the Bridge pub for lunch. Rita and I had a traditional Sunday roast, including Yorkshire pudding, and Steven had wild boar sausages (the rest had fish and chips, the staple diet of this happy band of travelers!) We watched the rowing crews practicing on the river, and fed the overfed ducks and geese (no swans here, though there are thousands on the river at Windsor).

By the time we returned to Windsor, the kids were exhausted. Rita and Elio kindly offered to watch them sleep, whilst Steven & I went for a walk to Eton. I knew Eton was close, but hadn't realized that it was literally 2 minutes from the Castle, across the bridge. The High Street was nice, and Steven and I walked down to Eton College, but it was access by tour only, and we had missed the last tour. I don't know if we were really there for a tour even if it had been possible, and we were not disappointed – something to do next time.

More disappointing was the news that the fellow who ran the carriage rides down the Long Walk (in the park next to Windsor Castle) had had an accident, and the carriage rides were not running at the moment. So we bundled everyone up, and went to Evensong at St George's Chapel at the Castle. It is a lovely way to see the Chapel with the lights on, and the choir was lovely. Also, as a major bonus, you get to sit in the chair of a Knight of the Order of the Garter – great to read the shields of the past knights, as you are listening to the singing. Steven's chair had a Knight whose family motto was Que Sera, Sera (I could just hear Doris Day singing!) and mine had a motto “Flexible but Firm” – the mind boggles! One of the Knights had just died, so they had removed his helmet and sword, and had a wreath on his chair.

We then defied the rain, and went for a walk to the Long Walk. It is a beautiful view of the Castle – bet it warms the heart of our monarch every time she approaches the Castle up the Long Walk. The weather prevented us walking the Long Walk (that was the excuse, anyway – but don't think the kids were keen) but the kids were delighted to see some of the Queen's squirrels and even one of the Queen's bunny rabbits in the parkland.

Back to Peascod St, the main pedestrian mall that led from the Castle to our hotel, where we stopped along the way at a very nice pizza restaurant (goats cheese & caramelized onion & spinach pizza is my new favourite, but I bet I won't find it in Italy!) Our last night with Nonno & Nonna – we will see them again in a month in Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb