Trip review


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Caversham
January 7th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Christmas DayChristmas DayChristmas Day

Buffet in the Skyline Gondola Restaurant
Here we are, back in Reading, just about recovered from jet lag, and looking back over what was a fantastic trip.

What are our thoughts/impressions of our once in a lifetime holiday?

Well, firstly, this is definitely just the beginning, not the end. We will definitely be back to explore more of this beautiful country. Three weeks gave us a wonderful taster, but there is so much more we would like to explore, and at a more leisurely rate.

Secondly - this was first and foremost a celebration of family, and a voyage of discovery of the contributions Harpers have made to the colonisation of New Zealand. To think of all the miles we travelled by car, covering huge distances, and to consider how the Bishop covered that same ground, his diocese being most of South Island, but in his case by foot and horseback when he was in his fifties and sixties is astounding. Many was the time he had to cross rivers in flood, difficult terrain, in fair weather and foul to get out and about and meet the people.

The visit was also a realisation for the boys that they are part of a
Christmas DayChristmas DayChristmas Day

Boys round the Christmas tree - Skyline Gondola Restaurant
very large ,successful and well respected family, with considerable influence and which is held in high regard in New Zealand. They have so little family in England, that it is heartening to finally be able to understand something of their ancestry, and I'm sure they too will return to NZ - perhaps for the 200th anniversary celebrations?

And finally, but perhaps most importantly, true admiration and appreciation for the extreme lengths our friends, neighbours, and even a passing jogger, to whom we were total strangers went to to address the crisis at home when our house was flooding. Not only sorting out everything in the house, but doing all they could for my aged mother, who was staying there at the time. What can I say to ever thank you enough? It is really humbling to know people will do so much for you, and I only hope we would rise to the occasion if the situation was reversed.

So thank you one and all - it was the most fantastic experience for us as a family; one we wouldn't have missed for the world, and I am so glad that we made the decision to go, despite all the difficulties of co-ordinating our travel and pulling it all together. Do go to NZ if you get the chance - even without family reasons, I can assure you of a wondefful trip to a beautiful country.

Best wishes all for 2007 - here are some final photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Franz JosefFranz Josef
Franz Josef

The glacier
Quad BikingQuad Biking
Quad Biking

The Birthday Boy - Alan, 23 today
Quad BikingQuad Biking
Quad Biking

River crossing
PunakaikiPunakaiki
Punakaiki

Pancake Rocks
PunakaikiPunakaiki
Punakaiki

Pancake Rocks - view to our cottage by the beach
Arthur's Pass Visitor CentreArthur's Pass Visitor Centre
Arthur's Pass Visitor Centre

Display - Leonard Harper, Eric's great, great uncle
Arthur's Pass Visitor CentreArthur's Pass Visitor Centre
Arthur's Pass Visitor Centre

Display - Leonard Harper, Eric's great, great uncle


16th January 2007

Well Healed
Hi good to see you all had a great time Christmas dinner looked good, Lizzie was surprised when she returned as most people she spoke to thought that England was covered in snow in the winter, and was funny singing the carol " In the bleak mid winter" on a hot summers Christmas Day down under.

Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.2113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb