Red Nose Day 2009


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bedfordshire » Luton
March 13th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It started out with comedians doing stand-up to raise money for charity. Today, it's offically called Red Nose Day: a day of clowning around when everyone in the country raises money by doing something wacky or off-the-wall. Rockstars, actors, mothers, members of parliament, and children all contribute comically and donate money for charities. Television networks keep track of how much money they've raised and encourage people to give more by playing commercials for different charities and talking about the good that Red Nose Days past have done.

My school is on board as well. The students pay one pound for a non-uniform day and come to school in their pajamas. (Lord, help us.) It's actually kind of cute. The girls wear baggy flannels and carry stuffed teddy bears, and it's neat to see everyone in something other than their uniform. Behaviour wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

At the end of the day, students have the option of paying another small fee to attend an assembly in which the men of the P.E. department get their legs waxed by volunteers from the Luton School of Beauty. We all think it'll be hilarious, but it turns out to be anticlimatic because the men don't even flinch. They just get their legs waxed as if they're having their toe-nails clipped. No big deal.

What's funny is that some of the Year 11 boys volunteer to have their legs waxed, too, thinking it's not that bad. (I'm particularly delighted when Jack volunteers, because he's got such a smart mouth and he thinks he's so macho.) When the cloth strip is yanked from his legs, he lets out a shocked scream! His face turns red and his eyes water. He starts begging them not to wax any more, but his peers make fun of him, so he lets it continue, screaming all the way.

That is worth paying to see!

Advertisement



10th July 2009

That is awesome, glad you are enjoying something!
13th March 2010

Enjoyed!
I enjoyed reading your blog! Sad to see it end!
8th January 2011

The End?
So what happened?? Did you end up changing schools? Did you stay in England??? You can't leave us hanging!

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb