The Swiss Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
November 15th 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here we are near the end of our journey and I am finally getting to a blog. So bare with me as a try and recount the past 5 weeks for you. It clearly won’t be one of my typical travel blogs, but it just didn’t feel right letting this adventure pass us by without documenting for Lucas and I and for all of you.



Our adventure began last month when we gathered with the German clan, loaded nine adults, and six kids into four vehicles early in the morning on Saturday October 20th. We were headed for the Top of Europe, Jungfrau in Switzerland, near Grindewald.

www.jungfrau.ch

Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe, at 3454 metres is Europe’s highest altitude railway station. It is a wonderland of snow, ice and rock. We were fortunate to experience this amazing place on a beautiful, clear day. Sun shining on massive glaciers, and air so thin one can barely breath made for an “other world” like 1+ KM hike. It was spectacular!

Switzerland happened to be experiencing the warmest October in recorded history, which made our time hiking this Glacial paradise rather pleasant and the next days hike in the hills of Grindewald, spectacular in it’s own rite. Grindewald boasts miles and miles of hiking trails. Sunday morning, after a beautiful breakfast and a pleasant night stay at The Selfness Eiger Hotel in Grindewald, we rounded up the troops for a hike swiss style.

http://www.eiger-grindelwald.ch

Sunday afternoon, after two days hiking the Swiss Alps, Lucas and I hugged the family and headed off on our own. We were headed for Italy. Specifically the Tuscany, a bucket list thing for both of us.

Next stop Lake Como, Italy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb