The little towns & beyond...


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
June 8th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

With the weekend came sightseeing!

Taking off from Neiderglatt, we visited some of the more famous surrounding towns. First, we were off to Eglisau, where we found a beautiful little town perched on the reine (the main river in Switzerland), all in cobblestone, with old churches and beautiful walking paths. Our next stop was Rein Fall, the largest waterfall in Europe! It was a brilliantly hot day and the moment we went down to the lookout and felt the spritzing air pushing past us. We spent the afternoon following the stairs winding down to the falls, and the pathways with nooks and crannies allowing new views. After we had picnicked and taken more photos than we knew what to do with, we were off to the next stop... Schauffhaussen. This, to date, is my favorite little town in Switzerland.

The main square reminded me so much of the classic European square, but it had the traditional dark wood against white buildings and the most adorable girl running through the timed, shooting water fountain. After chatting with her father and taking a few photos, we were off to explore the town, seeing so many traditional buildings, and some with the history written right on the outside of the building itself. We wound through the streets and shops and found the old fortress, climbing up for a magnificent view of the city. I cannot find words for how perfect the moment was. It was late-evening and the sun was still high, but not as brutally hot. The blue sky set the perfect canvas for the town below us, collapsing roofs and all. We had the entire fortress to ourselves, looking out over the houses and rein, and all I could think of was coming back with a lovely picnic, friends, and a bottle of wine. We soaked up the view, then slowly wandered back through the streets to the church. There sat an enormous bell, leading to the church garden. When sisters and brothers lived there, they tried to be self-sustaining and the garden had a small patch to grow everything. There were water fountains too, and even a few small graves found lurking in the outdoor areas.

We had been so lucky with bright blue skies and sunshine, that we had not even realized just how late it had gotten, so we wound our way back through the streets, finding lovely little shops and interesting methods of growing flowers on cobble stone. We ended the day with the setting sun over the hilly farmlands on our way home, with a stop to see the alps from a high point, and a quick check -up on the famous stork, guarding it's baby near Neiderglatt. Of course, by the time we were home and back to grilling sausages, my mind was already weaving a new plan... with the short distances, and my new knowledge that the rein actually divides Switzerland from Germany, I fixed my mind on a plan to cycle to Germany and back.

Until next time...

Trish xx










Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

classic...classic...
classic...

a nice snack!


17th August 2010
the rien

switzerland is a very nice palace for all purpuse........
hiiiiiiiiiii i m himanshu from india i love switzerland............bcoz its so nice palace for all purpose.............
17th August 2010
the rien

About switzerland
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii all off u i m ER.Himanshu sharma from india switzerland is a very nice palace for all purpose............ ok bye.............

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb