Rose and Ron Krumpos in Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
February 12th 2022
Published: February 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Switzerland

Entertained at a business dinner in Zurich
We spent a week in Switzerland on business. During a two night stay in Zurich, we were dinner guests of the Vice President-Sales of Mövenpick Hotels who explained - at length - the difference between armagnac and cognac. The Neu-Klösterli restaurant was gorgeous. Rose bought an outfit on the exclusive Bahnhofstrasse shopping avenue. Anton Good, one of our hosts in Thailand, later became President of Mövenpick Hotels.

Ron had worked six months for Swissair, after returning from India and before entering the Army...his first job in the travel industry and the same year Rose started with Northwest Airlines. Rose was raised in Los Angeles. She had trained with NWA in Minneapolis in the winter! We met four years later, after Ron graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and joined Northwest in Chicago. Rose was working a flight to Honolulu; Ron was on a jaunt. He offered to help with a passenger problem and was the first man to lei her (Rose loves flowers).

Luscious veal stew at the Wilden Mann in Lucerne
In Lucerne we had a complimentary room at the 50-room Wilden Mann Romantik Hotel in old town (arranged by Tony Haeusler). Its highly rated Sauvage restaurant had a warm and charming ambience. We so obviously savored their luscious veal stew that the waiter brought us more at no charge. Swiss rail was pleasant...clean, comfortable and on time. We liked the Brasserie Barengraben in Bern and Restaurant La Terrasse in Interlaken.

Tony was Ron's partner for two years. He had believed that Europeans were superior to Americans, the Swiss were superior to other Europeans, Swiss Germans superior to other Swiss, and the people of Bern (the Swiss capital and his home town) superior to other Swiss Germans. He later married Miriam, a black American, and became a dual citizen of the U.S. and Switzerland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb