Can't Ever Get Enough of Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 2nd 2018
Published: July 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Yes, we are in InterlakenYes, we are in InterlakenYes, we are in Interlaken

The charming city between Lake Brienze and Lake Thun
I don't think we will ever get tired of seeing Switzerland. We had a delightful 10 days in the mountains of the Bernese Oberland and Zermatt. The weather was excellent, the mountains were beautiful, and the hiking was good. We totally enjoyed the time with our friends in Interlaken. We also had some excitement on our favorite mountain hike.

The hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Schidegg is called the Panoramaweg. It is a beautiful easy walk with outstanding views of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau. On the day we hiked it there was an avalanche about 200 yards ahead of us. The initial sound of it was like a Swiss Air Force jet breaking the sound barrier. However, it was an avalanche. We watched the snow and debris descent the mountain side on to the trail in front of us. Fortunately, we were not in harm's way, but one hiker was partially covered with the snow and debris. Her injuries were severe enough to warrant a helicopter evacuation off the mountainside. There were several people with her and we appeared to be in the way. So, we climbed over the snow mound and continue on our hike.

We did
Can you find our chalet?Can you find our chalet?Can you find our chalet?

If you enlarge the photo and look on the left, it is circled in red.
several boat trips across Lake Brienze, rode to the top of the Rothorn on the steam engine train, spent a day in Lucerne, did the cliff walk on First, and enjoyed a lovely dinner and evening with our friends.

It has been 17 years since we visited Zermatt. While it was as beautiful as ever, the development was incredible. It isn't the sweet little village that it once was. Our time there was limited so we treated ourselves to a trip up to the Zermatt Glacier Paradise. It is the highest mountain viewing platform in all of Europe at 12,739 feet. It was a beautiful sunny day with 360 degree views of the Matterhorn, Mt. Blanc, the Monch, and the Jungfrau. We couldn't have asked for better weather.

Our other adventure was a return trip to the Gorner Gorge. This is a cliff side walkway through a slot canyon complete with waterfalls and interesting rock formations. It's always been a favorite of mine and it was nice to see it once again.

We have now moved on to the Greek Islands and are currently in Santorini. Our Internet connections have been terrible since arriving in Zermatt. Finally, we are back on the grid!

RPM


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Waldspitz cliff walk on First The Waldspitz cliff walk on First
The Waldspitz cliff walk on First

First is the name of the mountain
It is a viewing platform and a slideIt is a viewing platform and a slide
It is a viewing platform and a slide

Of course I had to try out the slide!
The avalanche on the PanoramawegThe avalanche on the Panoramaweg
The avalanche on the Panoramaweg

Wish I had a video, but it all happened so fast.
Allemdhubel above MurrenAllemdhubel above Murren
Allemdhubel above Murren

One of my favorite spots in the world.
The Stechelberg LiftThe Stechelberg Lift
The Stechelberg Lift

This lift takes us down from Murren to the Lauterbrunnen Valley


3rd July 2018

My favorites too!
Definitely recognize that bench and have shared wine there as well as the lake. Don’t forget our day flying through the air above Interlachen. Love it. Keep the good weather and enjoy.
3rd July 2018

I couldn't agree with you more...
we always stayed in Steckelburg and hiked everywhere. Thanks for the beautiful pictures what brought back so many memories!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb