Switzerland – The Cultural Cross


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
February 16th 2018
Published: February 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Alpine Tradition, Culture And Natural Wonders In The Heart Of Switzerland



Watches, chocolate, army knives, 1.500 lakes and the Alps would be a few items following the phrase “10 things I know about Switzerland”. You may also mention the country’s 4 official languages, German, French, Italian and Romansch, as well as the fact that it is the birthplace of the Red Cross. For Switzerland’s cultural wealth though, you would look up the Kuntmuseum Basel , the Ballenberg open-air museum, the Museum of Transport and the Blue Balls music festival(18-26 July).

Halls Of Fame


• It boasts 113 Nobel Prize winners, including Albert Einstein and a August Picard, while 9 have been awarded to organizations based in Switzerland.
• Ultimate experiences
• Discover the great fame of the small village of Gstaad as you ski, hike or mountain bike.
• Enjoy a medieval trip visiting the 1,000-year old Chateau de Chillon that sits on Lake Geneva
• Cross the icy peaks of Chur and Mt. Matterhorn on the Bernica Express
• Gaze into the night sky from the Aare Gorge and enjoy your dinner nearby
• Participate in the famous 22nd Jungrfrau Marathon, with extraordinary views of the Swiss Alps


Taste

Classic options across the country include fondue (melted cheese with croutons), raclette (3 different types of cheese melted on potatoes, onions and pickles) and rosti (savory cake made from grated potatoes and butter). However specialties, tarts, sauces and desserts vary depending on the region.

Live It

Stand on the edge of the elevated platform, just above the cascading waters of the Rhine Falls, the largest plain waterfall in Europe. Visit the impressive Laufen castle, satisfy the daredevil within you by walking along ropes at the largest adventure park in Switzerland and admire the impressive fireworks display in the evening of July 31st.

The Surprise

Isolated compared to the 3 other cultures, you will have to reach Graubunden region to experience Romansch traditions, such as an alphorn concert (wooden instrument) and the famed hot springs in the Pritzker-winning Therme Vals hotel spa.



More of my travels:

https://www.travelblog.org/Middle-East/United-Arab-Emirates/Abu-Dhabi/blog-991200.html

https://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Spain/Basque-Country/San-Sebastian/blog-962106.html


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb