Take me back to the Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
October 25th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ZermattZermattZermatt

Mt Matterhorn
It seems like ages ago that we were in Switzerland now and of course once again I am very much behind with the update. We are now in France and I'm using a French keyboard and that is not the easiest thing to do so wont be wiriting to much.

Our first port of call was Zurich and the largest city in Swizerland and is on the banks of a massive lake. The city centre was mainly the old style which was great for us, really like that old look in the cities. We just cruised around the city then went and hired out a couple of bikes (for free) and went out of the city a little along the lake. Another great day it was with not a cloud in the sky and was very nice. Also we even got to have a bbq with the host that we were staying with so definately that was a highlight for us!

Next was to Luzern in the middle of Switzerland and is a small uni city. We both really liked this small city, the river going through the middle and there is a wall going around the side of the city plus lots of little cafes and shops, was a very nice place. It was here that Aus got beaten by England though so that wasn't to good for us! Also to prove how small this world is we bumped into a Aussie guy we meet in Wales near 2 months ago. Only in this city for one night as we had a very last minute change of plans and we headed to Bern the capital of Switzerland for one night. Pretty much the same as the other cities we have been to but this place has heaps more spectular buildings and feels like a much larger city than it really is. Also there are two brown bears on display all the time and it was the last city that Albert Einstein lived before passing away so checked out his last house. It seemed a little cruel what they did to the bears exp since they have been in the cage since 1980 or something like that.

Now I will get to the main reason for going to Switzerland.... The Alps!! The last blog I wrote about Gimmlwald but before that we went to a place called Grindelwald. Close to Gimmelwald but completely different. This place was all touristy but still beautiful though and we went for a massive hike infront of the famous mountain Mt Eiger and we got to see some working huskies. This took about 10 hours to do and we saw some great scenery. Grindelwald is the typical Alps town, nice village with cows in rolling green fields surrounded on each side by snow capped mountains. Our hostel was the old wooden style like the one in Gimmelwald and from our room we had fantastic views of Mt Eiger, very nice!

The town after this was Gimmlwald but not going to write anymore on that so the next place after this was Zermatt where the most famous mountain in Europe is, Mt Matterhorn. The first night there we decided to camp for the first time in the Alps and it was going to be the last. In the morning the tent was completely frozen and the milk we left out over night was certainly fridge temp. Actually it wasn't to bad but ask Kylie for a different opinion! Give you some idea of how hot it gets... At 10.30am it was only 2deg and not a cloud in the sky! The second night was definately in a hostel nice and warm! We went for a walk but nothing much since we were both a little sore from the hiking the previous four days, but went and had a little look at Mt Matterhorn and thats about all we did there. It was only another small village with 5000 people but there is maybe 5000 tourists as well and the resorts go on forever.

I think we both have fallen in love with the Alps and not looking forward to going back to the city after the last 7 days we have had there in tiny towns in the middle of no where.

But we had to get out of there and we headed to Geneve for a night right on the border with France. We were going to stay for two but again had a last minute change of plans and we headed to back to the Alps but in France this time but get to that in another blog.. We got to do the free bike thing there in Geneve and it is a big city with lots of cars
ZurichZurichZurich

The lake
and it was a sight watching Kylie getting used to it!! I dont know if she was laughing or crying at the begining but got the hang of it quite quickly. Just one night here we tried to fit as much in as we could so went through the old city which every city has and went and had a look at the highest water fountain in Europe going up 140m.
Well thats it for Switzeland but we had the best time here with the Alps and the hiking, it is as beautful as everyone says and one place I'd love to go back to. The people the food and the hills are the best!


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

ZurichZurich
Zurich

Grossmunster
ZurichZurich
Zurich

Grossmunster
ZurichZurich
Zurich

Looking back towards the city
ZurichZurich
Zurich

The city
ZurichZurich
Zurich

The city
ZurichZurich
Zurich

The city
ZurichZurich
Zurich

BBQ time
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Church
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Lowendenkmal
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Lowendenkmal
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

City
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

City
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Bridge
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Over the city
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Wall around the city
LuzernLuzern
Luzern

Wall around the city


25th October 2007

HEY
Hello Guys, Wow you have done heaps of hiking. Kylie i hope you realise i expect a post card from France! he he. Bye Bye Bye
28th October 2007

woh!!
Hi Kylie and Slug, Sounds like your having a fabulous time and seeing so much of the world. Auntie Yvonne thinks you are so brave Kylie for having a go at so much and all that hiking and sleeping in paddocks etc etc. Makes being in old Tassie fairly boring and mundane I can tell you. Keep enjoying and see you soon. Love Helen

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb