Chateau du Chillon


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Montreux
March 24th 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Chateau du Chillon is a magnificent Chateau or castle built in the early Middle Ages. It is also the most preserved examples of this typ of architecture in the world. It is a castle on Lake Geneva slighly north of Montreux. It is maybe 2 kilometers from the city center. The walk is all along the city boardwalk, so, it is a wonderful walk to take. You can take a bus, but why bother. You can take a bus at home. Anyway, go for the walk, and you will see some cool sights, including the bronze statue of Freddie Mercury. I found it to be really a neat and fascinating place to visit. Going to a place like this makes you realize the Middle Ages and the old Europeans really had some cool stuff. We are taught one thing in school. But, the reality, when you see the artifacts tell you something else. For instance, we build our churches to be grey, stone, and cold. The Churches of the Old Days were incredibly colorful, bright, and warm. You can see al the evidence of paints and dyes everywhere. In fact, the Chateau du Chillon was painted id all kinds of exotic colors with landscapes, animal pictures from around the world, hanging tapestries, and even a type of wallpaper. The wallpaper was designed to look like a tapestry and it fooled me until the audioguide I had told me what it was. I was shocked.
Going back to the Cathedral of Chartres. The stained glass windows there are amazing. To this day, modern stain glass experts are not sure how the old masters got some brilliant colors from the glass. Some say the people mixed in alum, others say pure gold. But, no one knows for sure. But, they are beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



25th March 2009

My house
Maybe in 20 years or so ill have one of these : ) i guess u might be able to visit me.
19th June 2009

General JUCHAULT
did General JUCHAULT ever live in Chateau du Chillon .

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb