On the road again!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Lauterbrunnen
May 15th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=CQ1lDrs579k]
First GlimpseFirst GlimpseFirst Glimpse

..... of the Alps. Was raining and cloudy though, so not the best view through the windscreen at 130km/h.
Well, ended up doing a couple of bigger days of diving than we had planned……

Had a late start out of Paris, and copped Peak hour traffic on the freeways at 4:30, but were able to sit on ~130km/h on one of their excellent toll freeways for about 2 ½ hrs to get to a town called Breune, where we stayed for the night.

Spent today just going ‘do you want to stop here? Nah - let’s go a bit further. First in Bruene, where we thought about visiting a winery, but it was raining and not particularly inviting.

Then in Geneva, where it was also raining, and the traffic really sucked.

(Although - we did accidentally pull into the car park of CERN, where they do all of the nuclear physics science with a couple of huge (IE. 22 KILOMETRE AND 100M UNDERGROUND!!) ‘particle accelerators’ - very cool place. It was where Dan Browns book - Angels and Demons starts off if you’ve read it?)

SO, on we went to Lausanne, where it was also raining, the traffic sucked even more, and the GPS started going troppo under the overhead tram wires. Stopped there for
WaterfallWaterfallWaterfall

In the middle of the village of Lauterbrunnen
a bit, the rain cleared, and we almost decided to stay, but we could see the alps in the distance, and didn’t know of anywhere or anything in particular to do/see there, so - on we went…..

Got to Interlaken, which we decided to pass through (Saw the cool Hostel ‘Balmers’ where Narelle and I had a great stay 12 years ago), and headed up to Lauterbrunnen - which is absolutely an amazing place.

Check out the video below. It doesn’t really do the place justice, but gives you an idea. This is one of those places that you really should get to if you can I reckon.

Ummed and Ahhed about staying at a hotel run by an Aussie, or a (much) cheaper hostel. In the end, the hostel has won (for tonight at least). Did go the the place run by the Aussie for dinner though. There was probably 20 people there eating and I reckon only 2 of them DIDN’T speak English! 

We’re planning on going up the scenic railway to the top of the JungFrau (or thereabouts) tomorrow. I was also looking at the tandem paragliding, which would be awesome in
LauterbrunnenLauterbrunnenLauterbrunnen

A view of part of the village across the valley.
this area I think, and Kerryn reckons she is going to go white water rafting AND Canyon swinging.

Just joking Morag.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb