Lausanne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Lausanne
July 29th 2017
Published: August 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We fly from Berlin to Geneva on Easy Jet. We rent a car with GPS and make a short stop in Geneva. Switzerland has four different official languages. Lausanne is French speaking so we have fun saying bonjour and merci. We walk around the old town and stroll along the lake. We find prices for food and drink are really expensive. I paid $8.50 for tea at Starbucks, we plan to pack lunches and cook diners at our Airbnb. We bought lunch at the grocery store and eat outside with a view of Lake Geneva.

We love the house we have rented in Lausanne, it has three bedrooms and all the rooms have a view of the lake. We walk around the old town after shopping and eating dinner. Our second day we drive 35 minutes to Chateau de Chillon. The Chateau is a castle built in 1150 with additions made in the following centuries. This is a medieval castle, we have visited many castles but none allowed us to visit as many rooms as this castle. We spend hours climbing different levels and avoiding cracking our heads going through the short doorways. The castle is on the lake and the latrines extend over the lake so enemies can not enter the castle through the toilet. Beautiful views of the lake can be seen through the windows and slits in the walls for shooting through. A definite must visit if you are in the area. Christopher and Brad take a swim in the lake before we head back to Lausanne.

Before heading to our house we stop in Duchy which is on Lake Geneva's waterfront. We join what looks like the entire town in a stroll along the lake. There are carnival rides and food booths set up to celebrate the upcoming holiday. Many people have rented paddle boats and are enjoying the nice weather. After dinner the weather changes quickly to lighting, rain and thunder. Thankfully we are inside for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



17th August 2017

Lausanne
Love your photos, looks like a very relaxing place to live. What sort of work or industry is located there?
17th August 2017

Lausanne
Multinational companies are located here as well as the Olympic committee. This is the fourth largest city in Switzerland.
17th August 2017

Lausanne
Multinational companies are located here as well as the Olympic committee. This is the fourth largest city in Switzerland.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb