Interlaken


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
September 21st 2015
Published: September 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Interlaken 1Interlaken 1Interlaken 1

View from the Harder Kulm to Brienzersee (Lake)
Switzerland. A four hour fast train from Mannheim to Interlaken. A really easy way to travel. Our hotel was a short walk from the station and we moved in to the Hotel Derby around 2.30pm on Saturday 19/9. We were out and about straight away as we wanted to make the most of the shirt time we had. An orientation wander through the town showed that Interlaken was a meeting/gathering point for tourists far and wide. We were surprised to see a predominance of Korean, Chinese and Muslim (don't know what countries) folk walking the streets and thronging the Swiss watch shops, which I'd love to have gone into but nothing was on sale for less than a thousand Swiss francs ( 1.6 to the NZ$) so it was a forlorn hope. The Muslims were the most interesting. Many women in full burkas trotting along behind their men with nothing but a pair of eyes on view or not, as many wore sunglasses. Their were still the occasional American, Aussie, English and German accents but the majority weren't. Why were we surprised? Not sure. It didn't fit the picture we had in our heads about Switzerland I guess.

Enough of
Interlaken 1Interlaken 1Interlaken 1

Ditto to Interlakern
that. We decided to take the cable car up the Harder Kulm to a restaurant on top. "The journey from Interlaken to the Harder Kulm, Interlaken’s local mountain, takes ten minutes by cable car. The restaurant looks like a small castle, and it is located 1,322 metres above sea level." The Harder Kulm dominates the sky right on the town edge. The cable car goes up almost vertically, so it seemed, to the restaurant where an accordion band was playing and old-people couples were getting up and dancing to it. Of course Lyn wanted me to dance with her! I resisted for two beers before this old couple took the floor while the locals smiled at us. Possibly laughed at us but we enjoyed ourselves. I'd like to say we did NZ proud but that would be an exaggeration/lie. We had dinner up there and took in the views which were panoramic.

Back down on the flat we were feeling a bit worn out so it was back to the Derby and hitting the sack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Interlaken 1Interlaken 1
Interlaken 1

Harder Kulm restaurant
Interlaken Interlaken
Interlaken

Lyn with cow - 1 of a series
Interlaken 1Interlaken 1
Interlaken 1

Old people dancing (accordion band behind)
Interlaken 1Interlaken 1
Interlaken 1

Heading down the cable way


22nd September 2015

Update
Sounds like you're having a great time! Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for the various keypad / hotel misadventures ;)
22nd September 2015

Inter Laken
Great to be able to follow your adventures thanks .

Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb