Grindelwald and Interlaken


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Grindelwald
December 3rd 2014
Published: December 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Since it was a 3 hour journey on the train from Frick to Grindelwald we were up early for an 7.40 train. But, all for nothing. The first train was slow and we missed the first connection. We waited for another half an hour to get one to Bern where we waited another half an hour for the connection through to Grindelwald which included a sprint along the Interlaken station because that was late as well. How UNSWISS is that!? That was the speed work done for the day. We duly arrived one hour later than planned in Grindelwald. Amazingly we saw the sun for the first time although it was a cold 1 degree. Also, Grindelwald was shut! A bomb must have gone off and everyone had evacuated. What a huge contrast to what we see in the summer and no doubt the skiing season. It was dead quiet.

We decided to do our old circuit walking up the path to Terrassenweg to see our old lodging of Uf dr Ofni which has now been sold and has a large new house built next door. Along Terrasenweg we looked out over the bare pastures and trees with their somber
Uf dr OfniUf dr OfniUf dr Ofni

Our lodging of many previous trips. It is now sold and has a new house built next door. Somehow it has lost something special.
winter colours. It was quite a different than we have experienced before. The Eiger showed itself partially from time to time when the clouds lifted but generally the mountains remained hidden.

The downtown part of Grindelwald is now sporting an underground carpark and a large supermarket which it did need as the other was always too small.

After our circuit of the town we were soon back on the train heading to Interlaken West and a walk to Unterseen to visit Mariann. She hasn't changed a bit. We called for a cup of tea and got two pots of different teas plus five sandwiches and a dessert each! And that was after just having had lunch. I should have known..... She passes on her regards to all those New Zealanders she has met over the years. It was lovely to pay her a short visit and soon we were walking back down the hill to the West station and on the long journey back to Frick arriving at 7.00pm. Needless to say eating a dinner was not on my agenda.

It was good to have put aside a day to at least pay some homage to our
A rather sombre Grindelwald from TerrasenwegA rather sombre Grindelwald from TerrasenwegA rather sombre Grindelwald from Terrasenweg

Grindelwald felt like everyone had left town. It was dead quiet and hardly a soul to be seen. It was a most unusual experience for such a vibrant place. Not doubt this will change in a few weeks with the ski season.
favourite area of the Bernese Oberland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb