Grindelwald - Tour de Suisse


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Grindelwald
June 13th 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tour de SuisseTour de SuisseTour de Suisse

Riders in th Tour de Suisse 2km from finish
Another day of cloud and drizzle. This type of weather continues on and on with the lower areas being just cloudy.

Today is the Grindelwald stage of the Tour de Suisse. The race wasn’t due to arrive in the town until around 5pm so we filled in the time checking out the Finish then heading off down the hill to the river and to the lower glacier before going back uphill to find a good vantage point.

The organisation of this race is amazing so it does make you wonder what the Tour de France is like by comparison. There was the advertising, the fencing along the finish, the kilometre markers, large notices indicating the types of bends coming up for the cyclists, parking for VIP’s, Press and Public, diverting traffic, points people to monitor the roads, upteen support vehicles, dozens of motor cycles, camera crews, a large TV screen, prize giving, food stalls, freebies for the crowd, music, accommodation, and so the list goes on. A huge task to organise. Then, once the stage is finished, people to pick everything up and transport it all for the next stage.

We found a very good vantage spot below
Tour de Suisse riderTour de Suisse riderTour de Suisse rider

Single rider in Tour de Suisse race 2km from finish in Grindelwald
Terrasenweg and before the church. We could see the cyclists coming down the road, around the bend and on down into the village. There was plenty of warning of the cyclists arriving with motor bikes, loud speakers, whistles and the helicopter. After such a long wait, it was soon all over. The cyclists were going downhill from Grosse Scheidegg so going very fast indeed. One second they are coming, then, woosh, they’ve gone in a flash. Frankly, you see far more on the TV commentary but it was good to be out with the locals giving support. Results can be found on the website, but this one won by an Italian (Cunnego?) who was tenacious in catching up with the leader and passing just on the finish.

We made it back to the house in time to see the TV coverage going up from Meirengen to Grosse Scheidegg and on to the Finish. So, all in all, a very satisfactory day. Cruisey, different and enjoyable. Finished by pre dinner cheese and bikkies with lemoncello and tonic. Now there’s a nice drink and sacrilege to lemoncello!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb