We have landed


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
May 30th 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well Richard and i left cool Adelaide bound for Melbourne. Only a short stop over before we took off again for Abu Dhabi. The flight was jam packed and poor Richard was stuck in a seat with his knees around his ears, behind a little man who insisted on reclining his seat and shoving his armrest into Richards already tortured knees. There were no spare seats to move too. Isnt it amazing on a plane full of poeple from all around the world and when there is an alert for swine flu someone then everyone start to sneeze & cough i would keep my hand over my mouth for minutes at a time,,,,,, :-) 14 hours later and a little grumpy we landed at Abu Dhabi for a few hours respite. Back on the plane for 7 more hours to Geneva. This time the plane had 111 seats spare so a lovely tall hostess escorted us to an exit isle seat soon before take off, so much more comfortable for us. I got a few hours sleep as did Richard although he didnt feel like he had.

Two and a half hours later Lisa would arrive and i had arranged to stay and meet her at the airpiort but Richard thought it would be best to go to our hotel for a shower. I was unsure but caught the train one stop and we were right outside our hotel. Great location, we had a quick shower and back to the airport where we saw Tina Arena arriving. Lisa arrived to hugs and kisses and lots of chatter. It only felt like yesterday that we said goodbye to her in Adelaide..............

Richard & myself were tired after a long flight and Lisa because had 2 nights with a girlfriend in London so she was tired from lack of sleep. We wandered the nearby streets and ended at a little back street pizza place with 2 pizza & carafe wine. Back to our room and in bed by 8pm............. Our hotel was old but clean and the room was big, wireless inernet is always a bonus too. Lisa managed till 9pm but complained about the duo snoring team.

Next moning we had alternative accomodation, a Executive Penthouse a few streets away, it appeared to be a bit dodgy and we were pleasantly surprised to see a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 lounge room appartment with full kitchen and spa- We then headed off to the train station to arrange our Swiss train pass then hopped on a bus to the "old city" found a market in the city square which we walked around before heading up to St Peters church. We walked the alleys past street cafe's and buskers. We found a quaint little cafe in the shadow of the church so decided to stop an eat as the food looked fresh. 2 salads and a pancake with a coffee and 2 teas cost CHF63 which = AUD85............. The church was closed as there was a Swiss/French singer being filmed so we moved on to the flower clock and statue park before walking home along the river and Rue Mont Blanc. We decided that seeing as how expensive it is to eat out in Geneva we would go to the supermarket and buy stock for tea. Beautiful big supermarket where we bought 2 bottles of wine, basic salad ingredients, cheese, bread and a TBone for Richard (CHF15.40 = AUD20 & 1 chicken fillet CHF8 = AUD11) our total bill as CHF90 = AUD120) wow almost a 1/2 a weeks shopping. Everything is sooooo expensive.
We had a spa and walked down to the river then home for tea and then to bed, it was 11pm and we didnt realise.

Nex morning we were on the train to Montreux for a stopover before our final destiination Luzern. The scenery is like travelling through a postcard. Stunning green mountains, cows with bells round their necks. wooden houses on the mountainsides, the river running briskly the scenery was really spectacular all the way to Montreaux where we stopped for a few hours. We were advised to go to the castle which was only a short bus ride from the train station. We spent a few hours wandering the flag stoned courtyards and rooms which also took us to the dungeon and storage areas. Back to the station, instead we stopped in the park oppoite which was buzzing with activity on a Sunday arvo. We had lunch on a bench overlooking the lake and a piano accordian busker playing French music behind us. Back on the train, back to the spectacular countryside on to Lucerne.

We arrived in Luzern after 9pm and the sun was just starting to set, our hotel was just across the bridge from the station and is a British Pub (Hotel Mr Pickwick Pub) which was thriving when we arrived. A fellow from Tassie escorted us to our room, we asked all the "must see" stuff which was helpful. The room was basic but clean and the bounus is the location.....overlooking the old wooden bridge and the river and the mountains and the street activity below. Perfect. We dropped our bags and went down to order some tea and take in the beauty. A few ales lots of photos then to bed........ once again 11pm.

Lets see what tomorrow brings--------------


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb