Grindelwald - Adelboden (in the rain)


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Frutigen
July 21st 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Engstligenalp WaterfallEngstligenalp WaterfallEngstligenalp Waterfall

The Engstligenalp Falls at the head of the Adelboden Valley at Unter dem Birg.
Yesterday proved to be cold and wet. Winter returned it seemed - it snowed above 2000m. We stayed around the village, had a couple of walks and watched Le Tour in French all afternoon.

Today, we thought "to hell with the weather, we're going anyway". We wanted to return to Adelboden since the other day when we tried it was very wet, very windy and very cold. Today, it's not much better but not windy. Oh well. We had train connections to Frutigen and then bus to Adelboden which branches off the Kandersteg valley and is 20kms into the mountains. We remembered that it looked lovely when we did the Alpine Pass Route a few years back. That time we were walking to Lenk over the Hannenmoos Pass. This time we wanted to head up to the end of the valley where the cable car goes up to Engstligenalp from Unter dem Birg (1405m). We got another bus up there to do a reccy on what track we'd take. It was pouring with rain and cold so we took the "pussy walk" back down the valley. Whichever way you looked at it, it sure beat sitting inside for another day.
Lindsay on quaint bridgeLindsay on quaint bridgeLindsay on quaint bridge

This little bridge as been built for walkers across the Engstlige River draining the main valley


The track back down the valley is very beautiful. At the head of the valley is a huge waterfall called the Engstligenalp Falls. It drains a large flat basin above it and falls over a high rock face behind which are 3000+ metre mountains. We followed the river down from the Falls to where the valley opens broadly out containing Adelboden, Boden and Oey. It's not unlike the Grindelwald valley in it's setting - a narrow valley leads in then it opens out with the village and houses nesting in it. It's a pity that much of the view was marred by rain and cloud but at least we got there on the second attempt.

For anyone with the time, this is a great valley to visit for hiking. There are many, many options both high and lower down.

On the train back we met an Australian family over here for their young teenager to compete in the Youth Sailing champs in northern Germany. It was interesting to hear them ooing and ahhing over the scenery which we now take for granted - not totally though as we still find the place awesome. Fresh eyes have a
A Swiss beehiveA Swiss beehiveA Swiss beehive

These beehives are quite different than our stacked hives at home
different perspective.

We have essentially one more day here and then we go to France for a week. That leaves just two days left when we return and then the holiday is over.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb