Day 2


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Boltigen
May 29th 2011
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

P1000393P1000393P1000393

On the bridge walking over the river
I am literally not a good enough writer to describe what we did today, but I will give it a go... We woke up this morning at 9:00 AM (yikes) that's 3 AM to you westerners. Tim's aunt Barbara picked us up from the hotel and we made our way to Basel, Switzerland. The way this city is set up is indescribable. Basically its built directly on the Rhine River. The buildings shoot directly up out of the river and line it as far as you can see. The architecture is incredible, and the pictures won't do it justice either but we parked outside the city and took a public trolly in. We got off right by the river and crosse a bridge into the the heart of the city. The first building I saw was dated 1419. They are all very old but still in great shape. The closest thing in America I can describe it as would be Charleston. All the back roads were cobblestone and almost all of the buildings are built together. Barbara took us up a road to a very old church which was incredible to say the least. It was entirely red with a tile roof that had multiple colors of red, blue, and green. The architecture was beautiful. It had sculptures all over it of knights, angels, gargoyles etc. The church was massive and very interesting to walk around and just look at. After the church, we walked around the city and just looked at the scenery. Everything is closed on Sunday, so we couldn't go into any shops or anything. It wasn't breaking my heart because most of the stuff was out of my league anyways - much like Green Hills in Nash. We then took about 100 steps down to the river and walked the river. Basel's river walk put any I've ever seen to shame (sorry Clarksville, you've still got your swag.) The Rhine is unlike any river I have ever seen, crystal clear. No pollution. We walked about half a mile to a steel chord that ran all the way across the river. There was a fairy on a pulley system and the river is so fast that they just turn the rotor a certain way and it takes you across. We crossed the river and then made out way up to "The Three Kings" hotel in Basel. Its the grand daddy of them all. 5 star hotel where all the socieys stay in Basel. Random fact: The borne identity had a few scenes shot there. Out front there was a porshe, mazeratie, corvette, and a bentley. I figured it wasn't my kind of joint but it was still really cool to go in and look around. We went out on the back patio that overlooked the river and had a swiss chocolate drink which was phenomenal. After the hotel we headed back to Germany, which conveniently enough is 5 minutes away. Tired of typing more to come later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

P1000397P1000397
P1000397

The used to drop all of the "witches" into the river in the old days - tied up of course - into the river off this bridge
P1000401P1000401
P1000401

walking down to the river. the staircase was almost hidden away
P1000402P1000402
P1000402

It's weird seeing a river thats actually blue. no pollution
P1000404P1000404
P1000404

the church


29th May 2011

I Wanna Go!
Tell Tim to start planning another trip where we can go too! So awesome.
30th May 2011

more pics please!!
I love the blogg and pictures. Keep it up! We are living vicariously through you!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb