Weekend trips to Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West
May 29th 1981
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

During our four years in Boblingen, we took weekend trips to the following destinations: for two day weekends we traveled Bavaria, including Rothenberg, Munich, and Oberammergau; to the Bernese Oberland section of the Swiss Alps; and for three day holiday weekends it was by overnight train to Antibes, on the French Riviera.

This entry describes our trips to Switzerland. As they could occur on any weekend, they were usually spur of the moment decisions depending on the weather. If we woke up on a Saturday morning, and the sun was shining and we had nothing else planned, we would hop in our car and drive south via the autobahn passing Singen, Zurich, and Lucern and arrive at our destination of Steckelburg, a small village at the end of the Lauterbrunnen valley south of Interlaken (also the first stop on a recent season of "The Amazing Race" although, unfortunately, they didn't show much of the guset house or the surrounding scenery).

We would check into the small guest house arond lunch time and then have a delicous lunch before setting off on our hikes. Our favorite hikes were to take the cable car to Gimmelwald, and then hike down to Steckelberg. You could hike up to Gimmelwald, but it was easier to take the cable car! Sometimes we would take the cable car all the way to the top of the Schiltorn where there was a revolving restaurant that was the setting for the James Bond movie "On Her Majesties Secret Service."

Our other favorite all day hike was to take the cog railway from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, and the cable car from there to Mannlichten, and to hike from there to Kleine Scheidegg and then back down to Wengen.

Saturday evening dinner at the guest house was very welcomed.

By Sunday afternoon our legs would be tired...not as tired as if we had actually climbed some mountains, but tired nevertheless...so we would head home. We must have done this trip a dozen times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Having lunch with our new friendsHaving lunch with our new friends
Having lunch with our new friends

We met them along the path. They were from Petersborough, UK
Hiking down from Kleine Scheidegg to WengenHiking down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen
Hiking down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen

with glaciers coming off the Jungfrau and Eiger peaks


29th April 2013

A great blog
We will use this in planning our upcoming trip to Switzerland. It is great looking at the old photos! We may even take that hike. We'll see.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb