Lucerne & More alps ;-)


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
June 14th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

To the center of Switzerland for the true 'Alps' experience!

We took the day to go to Lucerne to find a traditional train to take up into the alps. Of course, after all the beautiful, blue, sunny days, our luck had turned! We drove down into central Switzerland, and I was again completely amazed at just how close everything is! Had we driven for a few hours longer, we would have been in Italy, or France! Coming from Canada, where driving for a few hours gets you, well, proportionately, nowhere!

So I was astounded when w short drive landed up smack in the middle of the country, with the Alps all around us. We found a traditional train to haul us up (to the more modern Gondola) that whipped us up incredible heights, into one rather large cloud. Luckily it seemed that the winds where constant, and as we played a bit at the top, we would watch as the curtain of clouds would life for a moment, and we would see those inspiring views. Of course, we also had lovely labeled maps, indicating which mountain was which, and we could walk around and imagine what we might see had the day been clear.

Mind you, I actually was rather fond of the sun-relief, and even feeling a touch of vancouver with the misty damn air that surrounded me. I ran from trail to trail, pausing to take pictures of all the wildflowers on the hills, as well as the small picnic areas and protected marmots or painfully tacky tourist props. The air was so fresh and cool, I was filled with energy, and darted through the cloud, finding all sorts of photo opportunities.

After we had spend a good hour or more entertaining ourselves as the cloud curtains lifted and then faded out the view as quickly as it had appeared, we hopped back on the gondola for a stomach churning ride down, with, yet again, fleeting, but incredible views. Back in the town, we wandered the small streets, and then made our way to another small town to see the traditional fish-scale houses on the river, and have a delightful lunch of fresh fish from the lake.

With our stomach's full, we wound our way back towards Neiderglatt, stopping in Lucerne for some classic tourist must-sees, and more delicious chocolate and coffee (the latte with local milk is the best I have ever tasted!) We quickly found the train station and made out way into the old town. We wandered over the old wooden bridge (which had burned down recently, but immediately been reconstructed). The bridge was filled with tourists, but also each part that had not been burnt had a historical painting lining the top half. As we entered the old square we found ourselves in the middle of a party, not only was it world cup, but it was also the day of refugees... a celebration of the home traditions and music of refugees. The streets were alive and the feeling was vibrant. Colours, music, smells, and smiles bounced along the cobblestone and followed us as we toured the old city.

More churches and sidewalk restaurants, and squares with historical buildings filled our senses, all backed on a river running into a lake, but unlike many of the towns I had seen closer to where I was staying, Lucerne had the Alps towering in the background, and if you looked closely, you could even see the smoke escaping from the active volcano on one of the Alps.

The city was increbile, tough filled with tourists, all sporting camera's like me... I can't complain, but it sure did make me think of Schauffhaussen again.... somehow it seems more like a private haven to me... but nothing can replace those Alps....

More to come...

Trish xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

more flowers... more flowers...
more flowers...

see there was something to see at the top ;-)
awwaww
aww

;-)
going up & coming downgoing up & coming down
going up & coming down

... classic swiss... perfect timing!
okay, people think I am crazy... okay, people think I am crazy...
okay, people think I am crazy...

People actually race up this mountain!!!


25th June 2010

Fun in the sun (where's the sun?).

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb