Visiting lovely Lucerne on the equally beautiful lake


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
June 21st 2018
Published: June 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Moved on to a another town, another campsite, only 15 miles or so round Lake Lucerne, to Lucerne itself.

We were pitched up on our new campsite, Camping International Lido, by 10.30am. This is just across a quiet road from the lake with a rather lovely lido between us and the water. Campsite is expensive. a - because everything in Switzerland is and b - because this is a city campsite in a very desirable location and c - because it is not ACSI so no discount.

It is however excellent, has everything we need including good sanitaires, a little cafe and of course the swimming opportunities offered at the lido. Nice level pitch, Kisbee positively leapt out of the garage and off we went to visit Lucerne town. Only 10 minutes round the lake and we were there and found a parking spot. This is a bicycle city, they are parked en masse everywhere we looked.

We strolled round the old part of the town which is to one side of the main bridge across the lake. Here the lake appears more as a wide river and is crossed by two superb wooden covered bridges. The first, Chapel Bridge from the 14th century, has been repaired after a disastrous fire in 1993. inside the roof all the way along the bridge are triangular paintings and some of these were destroyed in the fire. Fortunately some 'spares' were available from when the bridge was shortened at some point in its life so these were used to replace the damaged ones. This really is a very picturesque bridge and I am sure that every tourist who visits Lucerne must walk across it.

A little further along is an ingenious water control system, 'Needle Damn'. which regulates the level of the lake by means of paddles which stick out into the water and also generates much of the power of this part of the town. It makes the water flow in quite a spectacular manner.

Then another wooden covered bridge, Spreuer Bridge, oldest timber bridge in Switzerland completed in 1408. More fantastic roof paintings here too. Camera went into overdrive.

We stopped for lunch in a courtyard by the river and had Barley Soup, a local speciality then continued our wanderings round the old part. We really enjoyed Lucerne, a lovely place to visit.

Back to Kisbee, becoming exceedingly hot. Weather forecast said it would rain later and we couldn't see how it could get any hotter without something giving.

Perfect way to cool down was a visit to the Lido. Bob thought it was only lake swimming, I thought it was only a pool. It was both and it was fantastic. Swimming in the clear waters of Lake Lucerne 20 degrees, with a view to the snow covered mountains beyond is an experience not to be missed.

Weather forecast was correct. Rain started later in the evening and carried on for a few hours but not a problem and promised dry for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.447s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 37; qc: 134; dbt: 0.3051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb