TMB 8? Champex du Lac


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Gruyères
July 14th 2017
Published: July 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

TMB Le Fouly to Champex



The only trouble with the easiest day of the TMB is that there is only one! A pleasant, really pleasant day walking along the valley and predominantly down and along the valley towards the lovely town of Champex du Lac. We still have the omnipresent mountains that cascade with waterfalls and streams but today the spruce trees, meadows and fungi play a much stronger role as we descend to slightly lower altitudes. Much of the path toady took in a 'mushroom walk' and cute carvings of mushrooms, wine bottles, cheese and the ubiquitous ' Charlotte the Marmotte' sprang up all over the place. As well quite large carvings of rabbits, frogs and the like were found. Bizarre but good.

The weather has been excellent. After getting sunburnt on the first couple of days the sun has been kinder and although I apply sunscreen ten times a day I'm sure it sweats off quite quickly. Even my arms are peeling! We have seen the smallest amount of rain and today the track was powdery dry and the Swiss hills despite looking green were being irrigated by significant sized sprinklers.

Champex hugs the edges of a glacial lake and is very attractive. We braved the temperature and waded in, more to relax our legs, than prove our Aussieness and yes it was good.

Our morning tea/lunch/afternoon tea have become standard. Tea, coffee, (once upon a time fresh flavoured milk), some sparkling water and then a cheap icy pole or some gelato. Here in Champex the hotel food is excellent. Those travelling like us do not get to chose really, the menu being dictated, but the standard here was very high. We had cottage cheese salad with grapefruit, followed by a fricassee chicken with chorizo and mushroom served with roast potato and fresh veggies. Beautifully presented and very tasty it was quite a treat. Desert was apple tart tartan, again very good and served with a caramel crumble that probably negated a couple of hours walking!

Julie has managed to find some Aussies show on the TV so I'm reacquainting myself with the deadly fauna of the home country. But she has already snuggled down so I will do the same.

Seven hours walking (and additional resting) time tomorrow. We could take the short way but that adds 2 hours - go fig


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb