High Up on the Mountain


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Berne
July 29th 2019
Published: July 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Since we were not able to visit the Glacier Palace yesterday due to weather, we postponed leaving Zermatt and boarded the trams to make our way to the top of Klein Matterhorn. The weather in Zermatt was still gray and foggy but as we rose higher up the mountain the clouds we departing and a vivid blue sky awaited up at the top. The top of Klein Matterhorn is glacier covered thus the snow still remains and we were joined by fellow travelers carrying skis and ski poles. The Matterhorn appeared in the window of the tram and below was the Klein Matterhorn Glacier. At the first stop to change trams, we stopped for a brief time to acclimate ourselves to the higher altitude before ascending even higher.

At our next stop we climbed some steps to the observation platform where a crucifix was erected and beautiful views of the surrounding mountains awaited us. Also attached to the platform was a Love Lock holder where couples could pledge their love forever.

After obtaining many photos of the vista around us we descending into the glacier to view the ice sculptures carved into the ice. A winter coat and gloves would have been useful. Too bad we didn't have any. To erase the chill, we stopped at the cafe and had a delicious hot chocolate.

After returning to Zermatt, we boarded our bus and started toward Berne. On the way we stopped at the Chateau De Chillon built in the 12th Century on Lake Geneva. After a tour of the castle we made our way to Berne where we spent the night.

Tomorrow we tour Berne and then make our way to Lucerne, the final stop on the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb